Jones coordinator to leave

By Cindy Dinh     9/10/09 7:00pm

After 17 years at Rice, Jones College Coordinator Lisa Bryan has announced she will be leaving her position in November. She will be joining her husband, English professor Dennis Huston, as he goes on sabbatical at the beginning of December through next August. Her last day as coordinator will be Nov. 6.Bryan had a long history with Rice before she joined Jones College in March 2005. Before assuming the position of college coordinator, Bryan worked in the Office of Admissions as Assistant Director of Admission from 2004-05. Prior to that position, Bryan and Huston were masters at Hanszen College from 1992-98.

Bryan's varied experiences at Rice made her a great resource for prospective students and staff at the Office of Admissions, Associate Director of Admissions Laura Villafranca said.

"She had a great perspective of Rice and knowledge of it, having lived on campus," Villafranca said.

Villafranca said Bryan had the added perspective of a Rice parent, since her son attended Rice.

In an e-mail sent to the Jones listserv, Bryan said she loved being a Hanszen master, but loved being the Jones Coordinator even more.

Bryan declined to comment for this story.

Jones Resident Associate Marissa Howat said she and other students felt sad when they heard Bryan was leaving.

"She's really been integral to the Jones foundation that we have," Howat said. "As soon as [the students] found out, they were pretty bummed out."

Howat, who is also Assistant Director of the Wellness Center, said Bryan had an open-door policy that brought dozens of students into her office throughout the day.

"Lisa is really available in terms of visibility," Howat said. "She is always there at the college, if not more so than the masters and the RAs."

Jones Masters Rudy and Nancy Guerra said Bryan would leave big shoes to fill.

"Although her duties as college coordinator keep her very busy all day long, students can always count on her to sit down and give them her undivided attention," the Guerras said in an e-mail sent to the Jones Associates. "Whether it's helping them track down a mail package or listening to someone's personal problems, students have come to depend on her warm welcome when they step into her office."

Jones junior Alex Young echoed the Guerras' sentiment and described Bryan as energetic and reliable.

"Lisa is legitimately awesome," Young said. "If you tried to sneak in to get your mail, she would not let you leave without exchanging pleasantries."

Nancy Guerra noted Bryan's personability.

"She never met any student that she didn't relate to, no matter their background," she said.

Throughout her five-year tenure as Hanszen master, Bryan entrenched herself in Hanszen activities, appearing in the college's musicals, Glynda Comby, who served as the Hanszen Coordinator while Bryan and Huston were masters, said. She said Bryan made a memorable impression at her initial interview.

"I remember at her interview for college master she was wearing a brown suit with a mini-skirt and cowboy boots," Comby said.

Plans are currently underway for a formal student farewell to honor Bryan for the service she gave to Jones, Howat said.

"When I think of Jones, [Bryan] is a part of that picture," Young said.