Sunday, May 05, 2024 — Houston, TX

Ojala helps Owls kick off regionals with 5-2 win

By Hall     5/14/09 7:00pm

In the first inning of Friday's College World Series regionals at Rice University, Sam Houston State University started off with a bang on second-hole hitter Ryan Mooney's home run off Rice starter, junior Mike Ojala.But for the Bearkats, there wouldn't be many more fireworks in Rice's 5-2 win.

The Owls, coming off of a Conference USA tournament champion, took on the Bearkats in both teams' first game of the 2009 NCAA Houston Regional. Rice (40-15), while ranked sixth by Baseball America in its latest poll, did not receive one of the eight NCAA national seeds. However, the Owls are the host of the Houston regional and therefore have the first seed in this weekend's double-elimination tournament. Sam Houston State (36-23), winner of its third consecutive Southland Conference title, is the fourth seed.

Freshman third baseman Anthony Rendon, a national semifinalist for the 2009 Dick Howser Trophy as the best college player, picked up the first hit of the game for the Owls in the bottom of the second.

"The freshman third baseman is unbelievable, very comfortable for a freshman," Sam Houston State head coach Mark Johnson said. "The game doesn't speed up on him at all . you don't see it very often."

Rendon advanced to third on sophomore right fielder Chad Mozingo's single and scored the first run after a hit by sophomore left fielder Michael Fuda, who has raised his average to third-highest on the team.

Mozingo finished with a team-high three hits despite a broken bone in his right hand that's currently being protected by a pad and a wrap.

"I felt it coming on for about a week," Mozingo said. "Then one swing and it fractured."

Rice was down for fewer than two innings, when they took the lead for good.

"It lifts everyone up when you bring the bats," Coach Wayne Graham said. "We're very happy to get out with a win. [It was] a very courageous performance for these guys."

Junior second baseman Brock Holt had a sparkling double play in the top of the third, only one in a string of solid defensive plays by the Owls. He then singled in the bottom of the frame, advanced to second on a wild pitch, and scored after sophomore shortstop Rick Hague's single to break the tie.

More Rice defense came into play in the top of the fourth, when shortstop Jon Reed doubled to left, and catcher Mark Wyatt followed up with a single. Reed headed for home, but a strong throw from Fuda to junior catcher Diego Seastrunk caught him with a second to spare, saving a Bearkat run.

"Our infield is stellar and so is our outfield," Ojala said. "They're behind me."

With two outs in the bottom of the fifth, senior first baseman Jimmy Comerota reached base on an error. Holt followed up with a double that hugged the right field foul line, with Comerota scoring on the same play after an error by right fielder Tyler Knight.

Ojala (5-0) left after seven innings, forfeiting one earned run with two walks and four strikeouts.

"He threw well," Mooney said. "A lot of off-speed. When he settled in he threw us off."

Ojala has pitched a strong season as one of the team's aces, with an undefeated record and a team-best 1.73 ERA. In regards to his arm injury which kept him inactive for several weeks this season, Ojala said it "felt as good as it's going to get."

"I'm learning how to pitch now," Ojala said. "Trusting Coach Graham and what he wants to call and what Diego wants to call . Diego calls a great game."

The Owls picked up two more in the bottom of the eighth, thanks to singles by Mozingo and freshman designated hitter Ryan Lewis. After Sultzbaugh and Comerota reached base, Holt worked a walk to force in a run. Sam Houston State picked up one more run in the ninth, but the score held and junior Mark Haynes picked up his first save of the season with two innings pitched.

Rice, which is making its 15th-consecutive trip to the NCAA Tournament, has a 13-game winning streak in regional play and will look to continue that streak tomorrow night. The Owls take on Kansas State University at 6 p.m., with the winner heading to Sunday's 6 p.m. game and the loser playing Sunday at 2 p.m.

The team is prepared to face a tough opponent that beat Xavier University today 16-8. Kansas State has beaten top-ranked University of Texas twice and has a tough pitching staff. But in Graham's words regarding Rice's Saturday starter junior Ryan Berry: "I kind of like the guy we're throwing, too.