Teamwork integral to cancer awareness

By Erica Soltero     4/9/09 7:00pm

Cancer is a devastating disease that has affected over 10.8 million Americans. The American Cancer Society estimate that approximately 565,650 Americans died of cancer in 2008. That means that across the nation, 565,650 families experienced the loss of a son, daughter, mother or father to cancer in the year 2008 alone.Now, imagine this devastation happening every year.

While not all cases end in fatality, cancer brings calamity to all to whom it extends its hand. As busy college students, we often forget those who have had to endure tragedy and hardships due to cancer. We fail to recognize all those who have overcome it. We overlook the strength and perseverance of the individuals who have emerged from intense treatment plans, endured horrible symptoms and side effects and survived multiple surgeries.

But this disease affects more than just the individuals that it inhabits. Cancer takes a great toll on family members and caretakers as well. These are the people who compassionately spend their days and nights caring for the sick. They too must learn to cope and remain strong.

The damaging effects of cancer are unacceptable and must be stopped. We must progress to a state where everyone is educated about preventative measures, is knowledgeable about early detection and is aware of the myriad of support and effective treatment options available. We cannot allow cancer to persist as the lethal force that it has become. Thus, we have declared a war on cancer.

This war cannot be fought without devoted, passionate soldiers who make a strong stand against the enemy. At Rice, the members of Colleges Against Cancer have come together to take that stand. We invite you to do the same. Join our ranks so that together, we can do something about this disease.

CAC provides the means for college students to do their part. With committees focused on cancer education, advocacy and volunteer development, this club is dedicated to raising cancer awareness and promoting prevention. By engaging the Rice community in on-campus events such as Relay For Life, CAC seeks to educate and empower individuals to fight back against cancer.

On April 17-18, CAC will once again take a stand at the Relay For Life of Houston-Texas Medical Center. Scheduled to take place at Rice's Track/Soccer Stadium, Relay For Life is an incredible celebration of life that offers hope to all who participate. It is a 24-hour event where members of Relay teams composed of friends, family members and organizations take turns walking or running around the track.

Participating in Relay For Life is a way for us to show cancer patients, caretakers and family members that they have our support. It is a time to honor and remember loved ones we have lost to cancer and a time to give financially to further patient service, research, education and advocacy efforts. The hope and success brought forth by Relay For Life now extend to thousands of communities in America and 21 other countries. We invite you to join us in this worldwide movement.

To learn more and register for Relay For Life, visit www.relayforlife.org/houstonmedicalcentertx. It's time for you to join the fight!

Erica Soltero is a Will Rice College sophomore. Dolapo Sokunbi and Kelsey Lau contributed to this column.