Monday, May 06, 2024 — Houston, TX

No change in parking lot prices

By Jaclyn Youngblood     4/9/09 7:00pm

If the current economic situation has a silver lining, it is next year's on-campus parking rates, which will not increase for the 2009-'10 academic year, Director of Administrative Services Eugen Radulescu said. "Everything stays the same," Radulescu said. "Everything is frozen ... for everyone: for faculty, for staff, for students, for visitors."

The University Standing Committee on Parking, which has at least two representatives for undergraduates, graduates, faculty and staff, made its recommendation to President David Leebron, who approved the continued rates last week.

This year, the committee suggested freezing rates at their current levels. Radulescu said his opinion was that this proposition was made in consideration of the current economic situation, so as not to increase the burden on students, faculty and staff.

Registration for parking can be completed online via ESTHER until the first day of classes next semester. However, Radulescu said he recommended using the online registration as opposed to registering in person at the Central Campus Garage. He encouraged registration before Aug. 1 so that the administration can quickly process all the applications.

The 2008-'09 parking rates represented a 4 percent increase from the previous year, Radulescu said. He said on average parking rates have increased from 3 to 5 percent each year.

Emma Stockdale, a Martel College freshman, said she welcomed the news that the registration fees were not increasing from their current levels.

"I'm glad [the fees] aren't [increasing]," she said. "I still think the [current] prices for on-campus parking are too high, though."

Since parking fees are not increasing, new additions to the Greenbriar Lot will be the main change to Rice parking for the 2009-'10 school year. Radulescu said Rice is planning to install three gates similar to those in West Lot in the lot over the summer. With the erection of the gates, a minimal flat-rate parking fee will be required of visitors who wish to park in the lot.

"It's the farthest [lot] from the center of the campus, so [the price] is going to be minimal," Radulescu said. "It's going to be below two dollars."

He said there will be no additional fees for students, faculty and staff who have already registered to park in Greenbriar Lot. Those registered in Greenbriar Lot will receive a magnetic tap card, like the ones used in other lots on campus, to enter and exit the lot. The flat-rate fee will only apply to visitors.

Stockdale said she was conflicted by the new policy.

"I do agree with what they're doing, as long as it's a flat rate," she said. "It's conflicting because parents and visitors should be able to park for free. To take away all the free parking sort of seems ... seclusive."

Radulescu said there were three reasons for these gates to be added.

"One is there are too many illegally-parked cars; two is safety; and then [three is] to reduce crime," he said.

The gates will not impede bus routes, Radulescu said. He also said that the fees will not apply to event days, like Rice football games.