Wednesday, May 01, 2024 — Houston, TX

Letters to the Editor

New design alters essence of campus

To the Editor:I saw the recently-published article, "Art around Willy's statue to honor donors" (April 10), regarding the concentric crop circles proposed for the main academic quadrangle. My reaction was immediate and intense, and shared by several fellow alumni - I am repulsed by the notion of defacing the main academic quad of Rice University.

President David Leebron has in his tenure advocated some aggressive changes to the school that have been on net positive, in my opinion. In fact, some of these changes over time may be looked back upon as magnificent and visionary improvements to Rice University - we shall only know several decades hence. But I feel strongly that this particular idea is a very bad one. I do not think it a stretch to say that it is offensive and repulsive to destroy the peaceful symmetry of the main quad with what amounts to corporate and individual sponsorship of Willy's statue.

It is a fine and appropriate task to try and honor significant donors to the university; in fact, it is essential, as donations in large part drive the university's ability to produce the breadth and quality of education, research, athletics, world relevance and community engagement that Rice produces. Rice is a special place, and it needs continued support to ensure that it remains special.

But one essential part of the formula is the enduring beauty and symmetry of the main academic quad. In its simplicity, it presents a timeless identity that we all recognize immediately as Rice. That quad is Rice. Our Rice. This design changes the landscape of the quad materially, and I dread the notion of it coming into being. I hope that my sentiments are taken to heart, as they are not merely mine but are reflective of many others who value and treasure this university as if their own. We do not want to see our school commercialized. Especially not here, in the academic quad, the epicenter of Rice's identity.

I do not write this letter with disrespect to the designers. While clever and intended to be subtle, in the eyes of an alumnus, this brazen design irreversibly alters the very essence and perfection of the main academic quadrangle - the one single part of the campus that I and many others hope never changes.

It is my hope that readers of this letter share my beliefs; that however important, money should not drive the very appearance and essence of our university. Money "honored" in this way simultaneously enriches and cheapens our university. Let us honor the donors in another way, such that we do not at all cheapen the heart of Rice University.

Jason T. Perlioni Hanszen College, 1994

D. Colin MacAllisterWiess College, 1993

Matt RigneyHanszen College, 2006

14 other alumni also signed this letter.

Proposed art scars academic quad

To the Editor:

In his book , professor and alumnus Dr. John Boles reminds us that William Marsh Rice did not always intend to bequeath his estate to our beloved "Institute for the Advancement of Literature, Science, and Art." As of 1882, the childless man planned to leave his fortune to establish an orphans' home in New Jersey. But by 1891, inspired in part by New York City's Cooper Union, Rice had changed his mind and ultimately decided to devote the greatest portion of his wealth to create an institute of higher learning that would be "free of cost to both male and female students" as well as "nonpartisan and nonsectarian."

Mr. Rice's financial gift of $4.6 million - the equivalent of at least $90 million today - was accompanied by a vision. That vision would not garner him more business or social prestige. His legacy was a plan to offer Texans a quality college in their home state, regardless of their ability to afford one.

As an alumna, I am disappointed and disheartened that the current Board of Trustees could consider tampering with the integrity of the academic quadrangle that honors William M. Rice. The design voted upon by the committee referenced in last Friday's Thresher article, "Art around Willy's statue to honor donors," seems to prostitute our university to corporations and distracts from the tomb of our founder.

Who knew every sidewalk had a price?

Kathleen Hanley

Jones College, 2008

Online Comment of the Week

In response to "Art around Willy's statue to honor donors" (April 10, 2009):

My son is a student at Rice. I just came back from a college-visiting trip with my younger son during his high school spring break. I have to say that Rice has one of the most beautiful campuses around the nation.

Rice is very fortunate to have a beautiful campus. It will be very shameful to destroy the beauty of the academic quad with this design, as this will forever negatively impact the reputation of the school. Many schools honor their donors in ways that balance out the public recognition of the generosity of the donors with the higher education mission of their institutions. I am sure Rice can find such balance also without resorting to altering the beauty and harmony of the academic quad.

Neither I, as the parent of a full-tuition paying student, nor my son like the design. I hope the board of trustees will seriously consider the implications of accepting this design, and its subsequent construction, for the reputation of Rice. Please do not take this design forward. Given the repulsiveness most people feel towards this, Rice may see a drop in donations amongst its alumni and parents of its current student body, an event that Rice can ill afford during the current economic environment.

Mabel Lung