Sunday, May 05, 2024 — Houston, TX

A Word With Your Wardrobe: Chatting with fashion stylist Andrew Drayton

By Deanne Nguyen     4/16/09 7:00pm

Houston is not exactly known for being fashionably forward. Though not the most remarkable of observations - since I'm not constantly surrounded by people who clomp around in shoes as big as their face and talk in designer names - I tend to take it for granted. But just when I'm brooding about being in a place that couldn't care less, I run into people who couldn't care more.Stylist Andrew Drayton is one of those people.

By chance, we happened to meet while sitting next to each other at the Simon Malls Fashion Now show a few weeks ago. I had such a blast indulging our exchange of which designer's look was being shown or who-in-God's-holy-name-would-wear-that that I asked to meet up for a quick interview about his work in the fashion business.

As a stylist for Saks 5th Avenue's Designer Salon, he is one of many sought-after folks in this city who are asked the burning question, "What should I wear?" Here's a look behind the mind of someone behind the scenes.

Rice Thresher: Tell me how you got started in fashion.

Andrew Drayton: I would say I began my career at around nine years old. I was asked to help style at my cousin's wedding and sort of unknowingly got my start there, but officially was when I designed my own line of couture wedding dresses. At the time I moved to Colorado to be with my sister, which was my mother's dying wish. A local mall was having a fashion show and they came up to me and said "We have an extra spot in the show [and] we need one more dress, would you fill it?" I was like, "What?"

I went from being this unassuming 23-year-old guy who worked in a tux store to being part of this major fashion show. So I had a dress shipped in from home, chose my own model and it was beautiful - it was perfect.

That was where a whole career started, my career in bridal couture, where I work with big names like Vera Wang and so on. ... It's very different when people come up to you and ask you for your opinion. This sort of sparked the "I really like this" feeling.

RT: How did you know this was the job for you?

AD: After I came to Saks, whenever I was asked for my opinion, I started by just being honest. And it worked! I had a customer come to me and say "Andrew, aren't you a stylist?" I would say, "No," since it wasn't my job title, but she replied, "But you are. Every time I come in here you've always put together an outfit that I've liked." Then she started telling her friends, and then other people would come in asking the same thing: "Are you a stylist?" I would say, "Yes," and then help them plan their outfits for their events. They would come back saying, "Oh, I went to this place and everyone said I looked fabulous," and that's when I thought, "This is it."

RT: What is the main challenge you face every day on the job?

AD: When someone comes in and you have to really get to what they're going for. They'll say that they're going to a black tie event but then say, "Oh, but I don't want to wear a black dress. . I want something that's really cute." Then you start thinking about their body type and whether or not they want vintage, modern, simple and so on.

Sometimes girls will come in for prom and say they want to look different but their budget won't allow for it. Other times things just don't seem to be working for the customer; they always feel frumpy. So overcoming what etiquette calls for, money and things like that while thinking outside the box can be challenges too, depending on what's going on.

RT: Despite that though, you seem to really love your work.

AD: Oh yes, of course! It is the ultimate high to take a woman in jeans and a T-shirt and choose an outfit that's perfect for her. After I find the perfect dress, I then add shoes, bags and accessories. Many women don't know how to carry their bags.

RT: What do you mean by that?

AD: Oh, well, they just stick it under their arms! If you're carrying a skinned clutch, there's a way to hold it to show off the skin. If it's an envelope type, you can hold it in book form close to your chest.

I think the best example was when I was dressing for the inauguration. I took one lady that came in - she is one of the women I can really say that I've made over - I told her specifically not to fidget with her dress because it was perfectly tailored to her, how to hold her clutch . all those things. She said she was complimented on everything and that she never noticed how much women messed with their clothes until then.

RT: What are your thoughts on fashion in Houston now?

AD: What we wear in Texas is going to be very different from New York, which is going to be really out there. Texas is very conservative. For example, women in the corporate world will think they have to look as much like their male counterparts as possible. You'll find more women in traditional business suits and who will tell you, "Oh, no, I can't wear that to work, it's too feminine."

RT: What do you think is most important about developing your own style?

AD: Finding your trademark, what works for you. For me, every weekend I'm seen in an ascot, which was big in the 1930's. You just need to find your own little niche and ride it out.

And so dear readers, if you won't listen to me, listen to Mr. Drayton and take the time this summer to do just that. Find your signature style. Experiment. Live a little. There will be plenty of time next year to trudge around in sweats, ignore my fashion dares and listen to me harp about wearing crocs in public.