Saturday's Sports Update: Owls take down Tigers in rematch

By Dylan Farmer     3/26/09 7:00pm

Ryan Berry's absence from the pitching mound was conspicuous at the start of Saturday's game against the University of Memphis, but by the end of his seven-inning outing, freshman Taylor Wall had made the game uniquely his. Filling in for the injured Berry, Wall allowed just four runs and struck out six in seven innings of work - his longest outing of the year.Assisted by a Rice batting order that collected 14 hits and 12 runs - including six runs in the first two innings - Wall improved to 3-2 on the season.

Freshman Anthony Rendon went 3-5 with three runs batted in to lead the Owls' offense, which made it a point to keep fans in suspense throughout the game; Rice scored seven of its 12 runs with two outs recorded on the scoreboard, and the other five with one out. Five other Owls recorded two hits, including junior transfer Steven Sultzbaugh, who launched his second home run of the year over the left field fence in the 7th inning.

Rice started off the game with two runs in the bottom of the first inning. Diego Seastrunk, designated hitter for the game, laced a two-out double to left field. Rendon singled him home and scored on another double by shortshop Rick Hague.

The Tigers' Heith Hatfield took a pitch over the left field fence for Memphis' first run in the top of the second, but the Owls answered that with a four-run rally in the bottom of the frame. Right fielder Chad Mozingo hit a two-RBI double to left, followed by a Seastrunk sacrifice fly and a Rendon RBI single.

Memphis tried to keep it interesting by putting up two runs in the fourth inning, but again the Owls responded - this time with a three-run effort. Three straight singles, one to left field, one to right and one to center, scored three straight runs and made the margin 9-3.

The Owls and Tigers will play the rubber match of this weekend's three-game series Sunday at noon.

Ryan Berry's absence from the pitching mound was conspicuous at the start of Saturday's game against the University of Memphis, but by the end of his seven-inning outing, freshman Taylor Wall had made the game uniquely his. Filling in for the injured Berry, Wall allowed just four runs and struck out six in seven innings of work - his longest outing of the year.

Assisted by a Rice batting order that collected 14 hits and 12 runs - including six runs in the first two innings - Wall improved to 3-2 on the season.