Midwest trip challenges women

By Prem Ramkumar     3/12/09 7:00pm

The women's tennis team did not kick off its spring break the way it hoped, falling victim to two heartbreaking losses to beatable teams in Western Michigan University and Ohio State University. Instead of giving their ranking a much needed boost, the Owls dropped to 9-6 on the year. The losses may have had something to do with the locales because instead of soaking up the spring break sun on the beaches, the women suffered through freezing temperatures in Kalamazoo, Mich. The unranked Owls froze against the 61st-ranked Broncos, falling 4-3 in a close match that highlighted their weaknesses in doubles and inexperience with close matches as their youngest players, sophomore Jessica Jackson and freshman Alex Rasch, each fell.

After being swept in doubles, the Owls valiantly fought back from the 1-0 deficit to split the singles matches. Jackson uncharacteristically started at the No. 2 singles spot to allow the easy 6-1, 6-2 win for freshman Ana Guzman at the No. 3 position. Redshirt freshman Rebekka H?nle finally made her debut after being held back by NCAA regulations to dominate Ashley Moccia 6-1, 6-2 at the fifth spot.

"I was always nervous about my first match, and I was even nervous during the actual match," H?nle said. "It was awesome to win my debut, but it was just unfortunate that the team lost in the end."

After junior Julie Chao's loss to Kerstin Pahl 6-7, 2-6, a clutch come-from-behind victory from junior Rebecca Lin over Jenny Nalepa gave the Owls the brief 3-2 lead. But both Jackson and Rasch lost close three-set matches, with Jackson falling 1-6, 6-3, 4-6 to Emily Dudzik and Rasch falling 2-6, 6-2, 5-7 to Rachel Denny.

Following the cold-weather loss, the Owls traveled to Columbus, Ohio, on March 3 to take on the 35th-ranked Buckeyes. After again losing the doubles point, Jackson tied up the match 1-1 with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Angela DiPastina. After this boost, however, the match slipped from the Owls' grasp. The Buckeyes rolled through the next three matches to clinch victory with losses from Lin, Rasch and Guzman in straight sets.

Despite the loss, Chao continued her strong individual effort with a 4-6, 7-6 (8-6), 1-0 (12-10) victory at the first spot against Kirsten Flower.

"I'm really proud of the way Julie has been playing," head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said. "To take the match against the first seed from Ohio State is huge. That just shows we have the talent to compete with these teams. That win was a huge boost for her and the team."

Schmidt is demanding more work in doubles because that solitary point has been a huge difference-maker separating the Owls from wins against Western Michigan and Sacramento State University, whom Rice lost to on Feb. 21. Given Rasch's match point opportunity to clinch the victory against the Broncos, closing out matches, along with the ever-present concerns about consistency, will continue to be the focal point as the season draws to a close.

"Our team sees how close we are," Schmidt said. "They gave everything they could. ... We keep putting ourselves in the position to win, but that's not enough. We still have a ways to go."

The Owls take on 75th-ranked University of Louisville tomorrow. The cardinals are currently 5-6 on the year. Next, they return to Jake Hess Tennis Stadium on March 21 for their next ranked opponent playing host to No. 56 University of South Alabama.