Friday, May 03, 2024 — Houston, TX

Thanks for listening, Faculty Senate

By Staff Editorial     2/5/09 6:00pm

Last year, the Faculty Senate proposed an academic calendar that would have given students just one week to add classes without a fee, and only five weeks to drop classes. But after meetings with the SA, the Senate has decided to extend both of those deadlines, and we have to thank its members for their willingness to listen to student concerns (see story, page 1).While the new schedule of two weeks to add a class and seven weeks to drop is more condensed than the current schedule, we feel that it is a fair compromise for both professors and students. Registration data shows that the vast majority of students already operate within this time frame, so the change is merely reflecting a trend already in place. And, should a student face some sort of extenuating circumstance, he or she can still appeal to the Examinations and Standing Committee for help escaping an academic hole.

We are also glad that professors will now have to worry less about students entering or exiting their classes long after the semester has started - a less stressed professor is good for everybody. At the same time, though, professors should understand that students need to know as early as possible what the workload and expectations of the class will be. The professor should provide a detailed syllabus and candid analysis of his expectations, thus giving students the chance to fully mull over their decision to enroll. This way, students will not be waiting until grades come out in week eight or nine to decide whether the class is right for them, and frantic late-semester drops will occur with less frequency.