Sid Richardson RA Stein to leave at semester's end

By Cindy Dinh     2/12/09 6:00pm

Sid Richardson College Resident Associate Evan Stein announced at the Sid Council meeting Tuesday that he will be stepping down at the end of the semester. In addition to his work at Sid, Stein is the associate director of recreation programs.

During his five years as RA, Stein coached powderpuff, participated in intramural sports, drove Sid's truck on Beer Bike, organized study breaks after Night of Decadence and worked on several projects with Sid's Executive Council.

Stein cited both personal and professional reasons for his resignation. He said his work responsibilities have increased as the David and Laura Gibbs Recreation and Wellness Center prepares to open in the fall.

"I just found that my availability to be at Sid and my presence there hasn't been what it's normally been," Stein said. "I feel students have noticed that, and I feel Sid deserves an RA who can be there more frequently and can be more involved with the community."

Stein's resignation follows masters Michael Orchard and Melissa Marschall's announcement last week that they will be leaving Sid at the end of this year. Stein said his initial concerns about the burden his departure would place on the college were alleviated after he spoke with student leaders, the masters and fellow RAs Nick and Kate Pascuzzi.

"We all expect the Sid leadership to thrive with this opportunity and make both searches work out for the better," Stein said. "Ultimately, I think it'll benefit Sid to get someone in there who's new and who can be there all the time and show all the dedication and enthusiasm that Nick and Kate have shown."

Aside from the short walk to work, Stein said he would miss the daily interaction with students. He said he has enjoyed the opportunity to watch two classes of Sid students grow from freshmen to seniors.

"Seeing them mature as both students and eventual professionals has been an amazing opportunity," Stein said. "To know that I've been part of their lives and helped them make decisions over the years that have turned them into the adults they are now has been as fulfilling for me as being part of the Sid tradition.