Sid gets new college coordinator

By Cindy Dinh     2/12/09 6:00pm

Corinne Cammarata, who previously worked as a grant writer for the Houston Area Women's Center, has filled the vacancy for Sid Richardson College's college coordinator. She began work on Tuesday and will continue through the rest of the academic semester. The Sid College Coordinator Search Committee began fielding applications after the previous office coordinator, Kelly Penrod, announced her resignation in early December last year. She worked until the end of the fall semester before leaving for a position with a counseling center.

During the interim, student volunteers performed basic office duties such as sorting mail in a two-hour window in the evenings, according to Sid sophomore Shao Bo Li.

While Cammarata has no prior connection to Rice, she said she enjoys working with college students.

"I really like working with undergraduates," she said. "I supervised undergraduate interns in previous positions. I really like being a part of students' learning how to be adults and learning about what they're passionate about."

After working on programs concerning domestic and sexual violence for the past 10 years, Cammarata said she hopes to bring programs to Rice that boost awareness of these issues.

"The biggest age group for victims of sexual assault is women between the ages of 18-24, and that's the college population," Cammarata said. "I'd love to do safety programs and talk about ways to make us all safer."

One student said she was surprised by the quick selection process.

"We should have met her before she was officially up for the job," a Sid junior who wished to remain anonymous said. "I really liked how last year's RA search process had candidates come over for dinner. We all talked to them, we met with them, we interacted with them."

Cammarata said she plans to spend more time in the lunch room to get to know the students. Besides performing her office duties, she said she is excited to begin planning events such as associate dinners, graduation festivities, Orientation Week and