Serveries plan to remove all trays over spring break

By Kern Vijayvargiya     2/19/09 6:00pm

While spring break will only keep students away from Rice for a week, trays will be taking a permanent vacation once spring break is over. Residential dining will go trayless beginning Sunday dinner on Mar. 8, which is immediately following Spring Break, Director of Residential Dining and Catering David McDonald said. On Feb. 9, the Student Association passed a resolution to support the removal of trays from serveries in an effort to reduce food waste by up to 33 percent and reduce ever-tightening budgets. The change is also expected to lead to a reduction in water and chemical waste when trays no longer have to be washed after every meal.

SA President Matt Youn said that the resolution was initiated with the SA to ensure that students had an input in the decision, rather than allowing the decision to be made solely by Housing and Dining.

"We thought that it would be best for us to try to begin communication with the relevant organization earlier in the timeline rather than waiting to see what they would mandate to the student body," Youn, a Brown College senior, said.

Youn said H&D made cooperation with students a top priority.

"I thought Residential Dining was very helpful on this issue as well," Youn said. "They really wanted to make sure students were OK with it."

McDonald said he was proud of the collaboration between H&D and the SA.

"This is pretty positive," McDonald said. "Rice is one of few universities in the nation that will go trayless with student support."

McDonald began meeting with students at the various residential colleges Tuesday to discuss the transition before it takes place. The meetings will take place in the North and South serveries as well as college commons.

"We want to make sure that we are communicating with everyone," McDonald said.

McDonald also said he plans to meet with students at Lovett and Sid Richardson colleges to discuss their unique situation since both of these colleges use conveyor belts. McDonald said conveyor belts do not function properly without trays. He said he had some ideas, but declined to specify further.

The changes will remain in effect throughout next year. McDonald said that trays will be available for handicapped and injured students.