RPC should bring back Assassin, but zombie-style

By Amanda Melchor     2/5/09 6:00pm

As a senior reflecting on my time at Rice, I often reminisce about the usual fun memories: Orientation Week, Dis-Orientation, Screw Yer Roommate, Beer Bike. But one of the memories that stood out most was the fun tradition of Assassin, an annual campus-wide game organized by the Rice Program Council that ended in 2007. The game is overdue for a permanent return to campus but for various reasons - including fun - it should be conducted in a different, zombie oriented format.The game, sponsored by RPC usually in late March or early April, was pretty simple: First, a player received the name of another randomly-selected player in her campus mailbox. Then, she had to "eliminate" that person with a water gun. The rules were fairly open - a target was eligible for "assassination" anywhere but his or her room. The player who acquired the most names at the end of the week of play won a prize - along with glory and bragging rights - awarded by RPC.

The entire event was especially excellent because it was designed for the whole campus, not just one or two residential colleges. Players could and would solicit help from their friends at other colleges or even professors to find a target, introducing camaraderie to what was otherwise just a rather competitive game. Those who weren't directly playing could even get involved by helping or hindering their friends' efforts. The game was a great way to meet new people while still having some competitive fun, particularly for the non-athletically inclined. Imagine a real-life GoCrossCampus, played by more than just two or three people at each college and with real people participating.

Though in my first and only week of play I made an extremely poor assassin (I didn't last past dinner of the first day of the week-long game), it was fun to try to acquire my target and help other people acquire theirs. But as I looked forward to another (and perhaps longer) game of Assassin, an event happened that changed the way many universities - including our own - operate: the April 2007 Virginia Tech shootings. Because of the attacks, RPC rightfully decided at the time to cancel the annual competition out of respect for victims and to show our support for the survivors. Sponsoring a game titled Assassin would obviously be disrespectful after those events, and this unease probably still resonates for some at the mere thought of students even playfully pretending to shoot each other with water guns.

Last year, the game resurfaced once again, but perhaps due to lack of advertisement (and the one year anniversary of the massacre), the event was poorly attended and virtually nonexistent. And although the game in its past incarnation may never be played again at Rice (and understandably so), a similarly large, all-encompassing game should be considered. There is a version of Assassin that RPC could host this very year to bring this great tradition back to campus: Humans vs. Zombies.

Essentially, it's tag with zombies.

This is a popular game that has been played at colleges across the nation, and at a small campus like Rice, the game would be even more entertaining. The basic rules are relatively simple and similar to those of Assassin. Everyone registered for the game begins as a human with the exception of one randomly chosen person who becomes the Original Zombie. This zombie then has 48 hours to "bite" (meaning "tag") a human player, or the zombie dies. Humans can defend themselves from attack with either a NERF gun or rolled up socks to use as grenades. In addition to the humans' advantage of weapons, the zombies are prohibited from movement within the game for 15 minutes after being struck with a NERF dart or socks.

Besides the obvious novel twist, the game retains various advantages over the current Assassin setup. Unlike Assassin, Human vs. Zombies allows players - both human and zombie - to be visibly distinguishable by other players and non-players alike. Players wear some kind of colored bandana, usually yellow because it's the most visible color, around their body to show that they're active in the game. While zombies wear the bandana around their heads, humans wear the bright cloth around their arm or leg. If players feel that a wearing a bandana is a bit annoying (a bandana isn't really a flattering accessory) or if the game extends for longer than a day or weekend, this rule could be modified by different colored bandanas for humans and zombies which could be displayed on a backpack or bag if not on the body. By distinguishing players with a distinct colored bandana, people who are uninvolved in the game do not have to worry about being mistaken for an actual player.

One of the great rules about Humans vs. Zombies is that any attack on a non-participant results in the player being banned from the game. Players can safely play the game without involving innocent bystanders and innocent bystanders can enjoy watching their classmates get pegged with socks and NERF darts, which, unlike water, leave no visible traces on players (or unintended targets) to or from class and events.

Humans vs. Zombies is also perfect for its adjustable game duration and simple player organization. The play period can extend anywhere from a day to a week to a year-round event. And unlike Assassin, players do not have to worry about "assassinating" a specific player and RPC doesn't have to go through the hassle of designating targets for each player. The other various and customizable rules can be found on the game's official Web site http://humansvszombies.org.

So put away your water pistol and bring out your NERF gun and best (and heaviest) pair of tube socks. It's time to reinstate a fun tradition at Rice, but, you know, with NERF guns and zombies.

Amanda Melchor is a Hanszen College senior and opinion editor.