NADA exhibit explores many levels of nothing

By Amy Griffis     2/19/09 6:00pm

Eyeing a ball of lint, hair and dust poetically pinned on the wall, I fully realized that the NADA exhibit, on display at the Rice Media Center until March 5th, is not figurative in its claims of "nothing" art.Other pieces of work on display include a series of metallic-foiled, rectangular canvases depicting nothing through the reduction of the human form into mere quadrilaterals; exposed film strips gradually progressing from white to black, signifying nothing becoming nothing; and a sitting, hollow doll made of splintered wood, representing nothing by defeat. Overall, the exhibit features more than fifty pieces of work spanning all sorts of mediums, genres and styles.

Despite the inspired hairball, however, my favorite work by far was the interactive piece, which guides the viewer to find nothing. The list of 17 precise steps posted on the wall instructs the viewer to begin by placing the provided opaque white covers over their eyes - allowing them to see nothing while completing the ensuing sixteen steps.

While I continued to peruse the exhibit, eating the opening's free food and eavesdropping on sporadic conversations, I stopped to watch some nothing-themed videos. Next to me, a bald, middle-aged man in a gray wool sports jacket, black turtle neck and dark, thick-framed glasses mumbled praises of the well-executed, innovative nature of the videos. I moved on to the next display.

I felt sure that if I asked a question about the intention or coherent message of the combined displays, the clever answer would be "nothing." Nevertheless, I wondered about the artists' intentions. As an over-zealous, over-analytical art enthusiast examined a canvas painted over with black squares, I pictured, with amusement, the artist snickering from afar as the enthusiast grappled for deeper meaning at his or her canvas of nothing.

Erin Rouse, a Wiess College junior, curated the exhibit. With an understanding of the art pieces, great eye, and a good sense of humor, Erin did a fantastic job placing the wide selection of genre artwork within the intimate space. Erin, gleefully grinning, confirmed that the exhibit displays all sorts of nothing, even things wittingly having "nothing to do with nothing."

Although NADA makes claims of nothingness, the exhibit does not make claim to emptiness. After all, there must be something amidst all the nothing to bring together various people in conversation over the aforementioned nothing. I would definitely recommend my fellow Rice student saunter down to the Media Center to explore this quirky exhibit.

Amy Griffis is a Lovett College freshman.