Friday, May 03, 2024 — Houston, TX

Congratulations deserved

By Staff Editorial     2/26/09 6:00pm

After a record-high turnout in the Student Association elections, we cannot commend the student body enough for making its voice heard (see story, page 1). The SA debates were widely-watched, the messages of potential candidates were widely-dispersed, and the poetry of the election was widely-versed, if a bit full of rage.We would like to extend our congratulations and gratitude to all candidates, especially those who had never been involved in the SA before. It was a breath of fresh air to hear new voices, see new faces and learn new ideas from those who had not been involved in the SA from Day 1. We also admired those who had previously given their time to the SA, and we hope that those in both camps who did not win will remain involved in the SA. A variety of ideals and ideas make an institution more representative of the student body, which, after all, should be its main focal point.

Lastly, we would like to congratulate Baker College senior Faheem Ahmed and Sid Richardson College junior Anish Patel on their recent jaunt to the Oscars (see story, page 1). They could not have represented Rice in a better light, and their inclusion of the student body displayed the amenable and open nature of the Rice community.