Tuesday, May 07, 2024 — Houston, TX

Volleyball takes one of two to open conference play

By Natalie Clericuzio     10/2/08 7:00pm

Last weekend the volleyball team began conference play against some familiar opponents: the University of Texas-El Paso, the team Rice eliminated from last season's Conference USA tournament, and Tulane University, the team that subsequently defeated the Owls in the next round. This time around, the results were the same, with Rice defeating UTEP before losing in four games to Tulane. This week Rice finally returns home from a month-long road trip with three matches in Fox Gym. On Friday, the Owls play Southern Methodist University at 7 p.m. Last season, SMU swept the first meeting of the two teams, and Rice responded by sweeping the second match. The Owls will face off Sunday at 1 p.m. with the University of Tulsa, last season's C-USA tournament champion. The Golden Hurricane defeated Rice twice last season. The Owls play again Tuesday evening at 7 p.m. against McNeese State University, a non-conference opponent known for scrappy play.

Rice started last weekend's play in El Paso. While the first two sets remained close early, the Owls used two key surges to put both sets away.

In the third set, UTEP mounted a comeback. The Miners took an early 6-3 lead before Rice knotted the score at 9. The two squads continued to trade points until UTEP pulled ahead toward the end to take the set 25-20. Rice came out in the fourth set with renewed effort, but the two teams still swapped the lead multiple times. The Owls finally bested the Miners 25-18 to take the set and the match 3-1.

With the win, the Owls have now defeated UTEP seven straight times.

Head coach Genny Volpe said she saw the win over UTEP as a great way to begin conference play.

"UTEP returned every single starter from last year," she said. "We knew they were going to be much better . Our team did a really good job of staying composed and confident when they started stressing us. Winning in three is going to come rare to anybody in this conference, so to win in four on the road, I was pleased ?with that."

Additionally, sophomore setter Meredith Schamun and sophomore libero Tracey Lam played key roles in the match. Schamun, named C-USA setter of the week, posted 50 assists and averaged 12.5 per game. Lam set her match-high in digs with 21. Both sophomores are earning national attention, as Schamun is third in the nation in assists, and Lam is seventeenth in digs per set.

Coming off the win against UTEP, Rice's confidence was at a high in preparation to face off against predicted C-USA winner Tulane. The Owls' confidence showed as Rice broke an early 6-6 tie in the first set to defeat the Green Wave 25-21.

Volpe said Tulane stepped up its play in the second set of the match.

"We were in system, meaning our passing and our defense was right to the setter, so we were able to use all three options in the first set," she said. "Tulane started attacking us more aggressively, both with their serve and with their attacking. They took us out of system a little bit and anytime that happens it's a little bit harder to get a kill."

The strong attacking from Tulane led them to a second set 25-18 win. The Green Wave continued to cause the Owls trouble, coming back from a 14-10 Rice lead in set three to knot the score at 20. After senior outside hitter Karyn Morgan scored a kill to take it to 21-20, Tulane responded with a five-point run to take the set 25-21.

Both teams displayed intense play in the fourth set. Rice went ahead 18-15, attempting to force a fifth game. However, despite multiple kills from sophomore middle blocker Caroline Gill, Tulane broke the 24-24 tie to take the set 25-24 and the match.

After losing two close matches to Tulane last season, this year's loss was hard for Rice to stomach.

"We were honestly really disappointed because we knew we were right up there with them as one of the best teams in the league," Gill said. "We knew we had a good chance to win that match. It was disappointing to lose but it definitely lit a fire, because we want to kill them when they come to Houston."

Alongside Gill and Morgan, freshman outside hitter Ashleigh McCord contributed significantly to Rice's match against the Green Wave. Volpe said she is looking for McCord to make a bigger impact as the Owls progress through their schedule.

"She had a phenomenal match: 16 kills, no errors," Volpe said. "She was a little bit shaky over the last couple matches. Against Tulane, she really played hard. We knew we were going to need her physicality against Tulane because she's such a strong hitter; she's got a big jump; she's got a big arm [...] I think she's going to play a huge role this year and down the road."

After the loss to Tulane, Rice is 9-3 overall on the season and 1-1 in conference play. Volpe said she is pleased with her team's start to the conference portion of the season.

"I think this is one of the best teams I've ever coached," she said. "Talent alone, we're solid, but they really play hard for each other and respect each other. That's what I know is going to drive us toward the top [.] Statistically, we're first in the conference in kills, assists, and digs. I think we've proven we're going to be a contender for the league title."

According to Gill, the strong chemistry the team shares this year is a product of the players spending time together off the court.

"I definitely think we have a lot more chemistry than last year because we all hang out not only just when we have to hang out, but we're all best friends, and we all know what we're going to do," she said. "We never have any conflicts and if we do, they're resolved like nothing so we all get along really well.