Newman's life a unifying model for Americans

By Caroline May     10/2/08 7:00pm

On Friday night, the presidential candidates fought a rhetorical battle of words for their respective visions of America. Sadly, that same night, a quintessential American lost his fight with cancer. Surrounded by loved ones, Paul Newman, the film legend, philanthropist, war hero and family man died Friday at age 83.The news was somewhat overshadowed this weekend by grave financial and political matters, but Newman was a man whom we should all take pause and remember as we move forward into what looks to be an uncertain and ominous era. While times are hard, politics are divisive and we struggle with the banalities of every day, our memory of Paul Newman can instill in all of us a renewed faith in humanity. Whoever you were cheering for in Friday's debate or however you feel about the current financial bailout, we can unite in a shared admiration of this impressive man who truly did make a difference.

Newman lived the American dream. Born to a middle-class family in Shaker Heights, Ohio, he used his many talents to work his way up and into Hollywood's upper echelon. He was significant even before his first appearance on the silver screen. In 1944 Newman helped to defeat the Japanese as a radioman and gunner in World War II. After the war, he discovered his love for acting as an undergraduate at Kenyon College. Upon graduating from Kenyon, the future film legend studied his newfound passion at Yale University and the Actor's Studio. He eventually began his acting career in New York, wowing audiences throughout the Big Apple and later impressing viewers all over the country in Hollywood.

Having reached the pinnacle of showbiz, Paul Newman exemplified the best that Hollywood could offer. He had major roles in over 50 films including Cool Hand Luke, Exodus, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, The Verdict, The Sting and Absence of Malice. He was nominated for countless awards including ten Academy Awards, finally winning the Oscar for The Color of Money. His impact on American cinema alone would make him worthy of our united approbation, yet his acting chops were but one of the many positive aspects he left behind.

Stephen Hunter, writing in the Washington Post, described Newman brilliantly as "an American archetype ... practical, tough, urban. He figured angles, calculated odds, charted courses, deployed distractions, maneuvered brilliantly. He wasn't violent, he wasn't a leader, he wasn't Mr. Cool with the babes, he had limited gifts for comedy and highly articulate, dialogue-driven set pieces. But nobody played shrewd better than Paul Newman." While women swooned over his piercing blue eyes, handsomely angular face and unapologetic masculinity, men admired his strength, determination and commonsense wisdom. Film critic Pauline Kael wrote in 1964, "They could cast him as a mean man and know that the audience would never believe in his meanness." America loved Paul Newman. The humble manner in which he lived his life merely served to underscore his exceptional qualities.

Newman worked in Hollywood but was no representation of its culture. The iconic actor avoided interviews and never read reviews, once saying, "If they're good you get a fat head, and if they're bad you're depressed for three weeks." True to form and wholly devoted to his family, Newman lived on the opposite side of the country in Westport, Conn. In this less pretentious setting, one of Hollywood's most dashing leading men remained married to the same woman, actress Joanne Woodward, for over 50 years. He is famously remembered for saying he had no reason to stray: "Why should I go out for a hamburger when I have steak at home?" Working in a culture in which the average lifespan of marriages appears to be shorter than baseball season, Newman's love for his wife and family were a thrill to behold. We should all be so skillful at maintaining our values.

In addition to the more than 50 years of joy he brought filmgoers and decades of devotion he gave his loved ones, Paul Newman was an exceptionally generous philanthropist. In 1982 he paired up with writer A.E. Hotchner and started the food brand Newman's Own, best know for producing salad dressing and popcorn. All the after-tax proceeds from the sale of Newman's products have gone and continue to go to charity. In 1988 he and Hotchner founded the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp. Each year this endeavor provides over 13,000 children with cancer a priceless sleep-away camp experience. Newman has also given millions to his alma mater, Kenyon College, and made smaller contributions to innumerable causes. He died having given over $250 million to charity.

His unwavering selflessness, hardy spirit and endearing demeanor will be remembered far into the future, much farther than ephemeral election polls, market fluctuations or political catcalls. To be sure, Newman was no political outsider. He was an avid liberal activist and proud Democrat. Despite what I considered to be misguided politics, he lived a life in full. Indeed, even a conservative Republican like me can love a man with a spot on Nixon's enemies list. Whatever the coming weeks may bring, we can all remain grounded in our shared appreciation and celebration of the life Paul Newman led.

Caroline May is a Will Rice College senior.