Tuesday, May 21, 2024 — Houston, TX

Grove dedicated as an escape for students

By Catherine Bratic     10/30/08 7:00pm

Warm sunny weather drew students and donors alike out into the open Friday for the formal dedication of the John and Anne Grove. The grove, which covers the area bounded by Will Rice, Hanszen and Sid Richardson colleges and College Way, is the result of a gift by John and Anne Mullens (Hanszen '63 and Jones '64, respectively). The grove is meant to be a place for student interaction, echoing the experience of the Mullens, who first met in the grove while they were students at Rice, John Mullens said at the ceremony. Dean of Undergraduates Robin Forman began the dedication by labeling the grove as a place for students to escape from the stresses of school.

"This is a place for students to find serenity and fun," Forman said. "Perhaps more of our students can find their own bit of romance here, though not too much. We still have classes to worry about."

Forman added that the grove helped Rice realize President David Leebron's Vision for the Second Century.

Leebron said the Mullens' gift highlighted the importance of the physical space of a university.

"A central part of learning here is how people interact with each other on this campus; the spaces that we create for that interaction, the spaces to meet and talk with each other," Leebron said.

Leebron thanked the Mullens for realizing the importance of an often-overlooked space, and reminded the faculty and donors in attendance that the space primarily belonged to students, not to administrators.

"This is really a space for students," Leebron said. "I'm told they will let faculty and even administration walk through this space on occasion."

"By appointment only!" Anne Mullens added.

Student Association President Matt Youn thanked the Mullens for their gift as well as their story.

"John and Anne met here in the grove," Youn, a Brown College senior, said. "It's a great story. So great that I tried to reenact it myself. Turns out it's a lot harder than I thought."

Graduate Student Association Internal Vice President Nastassja Lewinsky said she was grateful for the project's contributions to tree life on campus.

"One aspect of Rice that I always found neat is the majestic oak trees that are found throughout the campus," Lewinsky said. "This renovation has enhanced the beauty of the oak trees in the area."

Raymond Brochstein (Sid '55), who served on the Buildings and Grounds Committee, said that he and his wife, Susan, funded the construction of the Raymond and Susan Brochstein Pavilion with the grove's future renovation in mind.

"This project was inspiration to Susan and me when we were offered the opportunity to become involved with the pavilion, because to have such a magnificent gateway makes all the difference to us," Brochstein said.

Thanking the Mullens for their gift, Leebron presented them with two framed photos of the newly-finished grove so that they could keep the memory of their gift close by.

Before opening the wrapped present, John Mullens said he was wary of its contents.

"I hope it's not a picture of us up in the oak tree 45 years ago," Mullens joked.

Leebron played along, issuing a warning to current students.

"No, we've only recently installed the technology to do that," Leebron said.

John Mullens, himself an architect, thanked the university for allowing his input in parts of the design process.

"Raymond [Brochstein] sat by my side and told me when to speak up and when to shut up," Mullens said. "I'm incredibly thankful for that."

Leebron ended the ceremony by thanking the students for their patience during construction on campus.

"When all of the projects are finished, you will see that just as the Mullens have done, you also have made a contribution to the future of this campus," Leebron said.

After the ceremony concluded, many students stuck around, and others wandered through the area, finishing off the last of the hot dogs and tossing frisbees.

Jones School breaks ground on new expansion, final project to wrap up spring 2026

The Jones Graduate School of Business will expand its building, constructing an additional 95,000 square feet around McNair Hall. Rice Business announced blueprint plans for the new $54.5 million building at its groundbreaking May 9. The new building will include multiple large classrooms, lecture halls, dining facilities, event spaces and communal areas, designed to “blend seamlessly with the campus and its surroundings.”

Audrey’s closes in advance of Jones School expansion

After four years of operation in McNair Hall, Audrey’s closed May 10 prior to the Jones Graduate School of Business expansion. The original Audrey’s space will be cleaved by a wall during construction, Niken Prabanto, co-owner of Greenway Coffee Company, which oversees Audrey’s, said.