Saturday, May 18, 2024 — Houston, TX

Glass boats float in Fondren

9f1ac67a67460b5d5f44c8150e8081bb

Glass ceiling

By Nick Morales     10/23/08 7:00pm

With the installment of nine multicolored glass boats in the front lobby, Fondren Library is the first location to integrate art into the Rice campus in a campus wide project known as the "Endeavor Installation." The boats are a gift from donors Elizabeth and Albert Kidd (Hanszen '64) and is a project of the Arts Committee, chaired by Raymond Brochstein (Sid '55).The committee promotes President David Leebron's intent to create a more vibrant and dynamic campus as outlined in the Vision for the Second Century, Eleni Barzouka, Facilities, Engineering and Planning senior project manager, said.

Internationally-renowned glass artist Lino Tagliapietra designed the boat installation specifically with Fondren in mind, Barzouka said. Tagliapietra was commissioned to craft the nine colored blown-glass boats that appear to float in midair above the central walkway in Fondren's first floor. The piece was unveiled during a ceremony Wednesday, Oct. 13 at the Raymond and Susan Brochstein Pavilion where Leebron spoke about the new art.

At the unveiling, Leebron said that through the installation, Rice was aspiring to achieve new heights. Leebron said the boats brought an international spirit to Rice relating to what was embraced in the Vision for the Second Century.

Because the art piece was location specific, Tagliapietra envisioned something that would allow him to accentuate the essence of the library.

"Through [the boats, Tagliapietra] wanted to emphasize the role of the library as a pathway to knowledge," said Barzouka.

The installation intends to enhance the pathway through Fondren to the Brochstein Pavilion which, according to Barzouka, can be included as an extension of the library. Barzouka said the art committee aims in the exhibit to appeal to students' aesthetic senses.

"The installation is designed to be contemplative and inspiring and thus to greatly enhance the students' experience as they engage in research and learning within the library walls," Barzouka said.

As of publication, no other installments are planned yet, Barzouka said.

Sarah Bronson contributed to this article.

Rice Adds Women’s Golf with Alumna Donation

Three months after the reinstatement of Rice’s diving team, athletic director Tommy McClelland announced a second sport coming to South Main in the near future. Rice will have a women’s golf team starting in the 2026-27 academic year.