Thresher, university closed due to Hurricane Ike

By John Michael Cuccia     9/11/08 7:00pm

All Rice University offices are closed Friday through Sunday. Business will resume Monday at normal hours.University officials strongly encourage all students, faculty, and staff to verify their contact information via ESTHER (http://esther.rice.edu), as well as register their cell phone to receive text and voice messages from the Rice Emergency Notification System.

Due to the impending hurricane and related evacuations and closures, this week's printed edition of the Thresher may not be fully distributed until business resumes on Monday. The Thresher office is closed and will reopen when the university reopens Monday.

The university-wide closure was announced today at 10:49 a.m. via text message to all users of the emergency notification system. An announcement was sent over email roughly an hour later, followed by updates to rice.edu's homepage.

Further updates on Rice's operations can be found on rice.edu. University officials discourage anyone from calling the Rice University Police Department for storm updates and general information in order to keep those phone lines open for emergencies.