Saturday, May 18, 2024 — Houston, TX

News in Brief: Physics professor Mutchler dies; Systems support specialist Warren passes away

b14b87c6df7233a5973869e98c5326ef

Physics professor Gordon Mutchler

By Sarah Rutledge     9/4/08 7:00pm

Physics professor Mutchler dies

Physics and astronomy professor Gordon Mutchler, 70, died Aug. 15 of a heart attack.Mutchler worked at Rice almost 40 years. He was highly respected and well liked among his colleagues, Physics and Astronomy Department Chair Barry Dunning said.

"Everyone liked him," Dunning said. "He was always willing to help."

Mutchler's good-natured personality was evident in his sense of humor, Dunning said. He said Mutchler was quick to make a witty quip and was unafraid to poke fun at himself.

"He could laugh at himself and recognize his own foibles," Dunning said.

Mutchler was also down to earth as a professor and recognized that everyone made mistakes, Dunning said. He said Mutchler was a dedicated teacher and mentor.

Most recently, Mutchler taught Physics 125/126, the physics course for pre-medical students. Also a researcher in nuclear medium energy physics, Mutchler had worked at the Jefferson National Accelerator Facility in Virginia.

Rice will hold a reception in Mutchler's honor Sept. 12 from 4:30 p.m.-6 p.m. in Farnsworth Pavilion.

Systems support specialist Warren passes away

Administrative Systems User Support Specialist Ernest Warren died Aug. 27 of pneumonia, a complication of his heart surgery. He had worked at Rice since June 1989.

Director of Infrastructure Support and Production Management Renae Scott worked with Warren for 18 years. She said Warren's funeral service was well-attended, estimating a turnout of several hundred.

Scott said Warren will be missed because of his upbeat attitude.

"He was well-liked with his teammates," Scott said. "He always had a smile and a kind word for everyone."

Warren, who was a certified pilot and an armed forces veteran, was also a father and grandfather. The proud Texan and family man also enjoyed the company of his dogs, notably his American Boxers, Scott said.

"They were like children to him," Scott said.

Warren worked in back-end check processing. Anyone who has received a Rice check in the last 15 years has been affected by his work, Scott said.

Rice Adds Women’s Golf with Alumna Donation

Three months after the reinstatement of Rice’s diving team, athletic director Tommy McClelland announced a second sport coming to South Main in the near future. Rice will have a women’s golf team starting in the 2026-27 academic year.