Scott wins ASA award

By Sarah Mitchell     8/21/08 7:00pm

Statistics Professor David Scott received the American Statistical Association Founders Award Aug. 5. Scott is one of the founding members of the Rice statistics department and earned the award to honor his lifetime of service to the ASA. His service to the organization includes organizing meetings and editing statistical journals.Scott said he was pleased to receive such a rare honor.

"Its wonderful when your peers see it fit to recognize you in this way," Scott said. "There's 20,000 people in the organization and about two get [the award] every year. It's really quite nice, and I'm very excited."

Scott's research focuses on the visualization of high-dimensional data and data mining in particular. He said the goal of his research aims to find signals in large groups of data when only a few data points are signaled.

Scott said his position at Rice allows him to both take part in research and to engage in service, such as his commitment to the ASA. Scott said he would like to acknowledge former Provost Neal Lane and former President George Rupp for their support in creating the statistics department which helped him earn this award.