IT self-help page introduced

By Cindy Dinh     8/21/08 7:00pm

In an effort to make technological woes easier on the Rice community, a new Information Technology self-service Web site was created in June to address basic concerns for students and faculty.The Web site allows users to easily modify basic settings such as changing one's Net Identification and password, creating a vanity e-mail address apart from the standard NetID and full name addresses, viewing the amount of storage space left in the Rice e-mail account, increasing mailbox quota, viewing on-campus printing charges and adjusting spam filter settings.

"The purpose of the self-service Web page was to empower customers to manage their own computing environ-ment," Manager for IT Technical Communications Carlyn Chatfield said.

IT staff members reviewed what features were most commonly asked about to compile a one-page collection of applications on the Web site. Each application is frequently updated to reflect the current status. The site also includes links to a more detailed explanation of each application.

After a year in the making, IT created the Web site for users to get fast answers about their account, printing charges and password. Convenience and saving time were the primary purposes of this site, which compiles applications already available from various sources and sites, Chatfield said. Users can update their account when the IT Help Desk is not available after hours.

One of the applications includes changing a NetID password.

"It takes more work to create that secure environment to prevent malicious attacks from people posing as Rice users," Chatfield said.

Like changing clocks, Chatfield recommends changing your NetID password at least twice a year to be safe and secure. She said the next-highest priority is to create a way for users to retrieve forgotten passwords.

Since its debut June 9 to the Rice faculty and staff, IT is anxious to get the message out to students and receiving feedback to improve it, Chatfield said.

Baker College senior Justin Faulkner said this self-service Web site comes not a moment too soon.

"It seems like IT is finally getting around to fixing the disaster that is apply.rice.edu [the original Web site where first-time users set up their NetID account]," Faulkner said. "Things that look clickable aren't links, and the real links to actually do stuff are understated."

Faulkner said the page could be helpful to students and staff who are facing common problems.

"I guess if you're looking to do one of the five or six things on the [self-service] page, then it's pretty conve-nient," Faulkner said.

The Self-Service Web page can be found under the Help Desk and Training header on the main IT homepage. Feedback and recommendation of applications can be e-mailed to ITinput@rice.edu.