Monday, April 15, 2024 — Houston, TX

Harlow appointed director of Chao Center for Asian Studies

By Rachel Carlson     8/21/08 7:00pm

Tani Barlow, a professor of history and women's studies from the University of Washington, was appointed in May to be the director of the Chao Center for Asian Studies and the Ting Tsung and Wei Fong Chao Professor of Asian Studies. Due to a previous commitment, Barlow will spend the fall semester at the National University of Singapore and begin her official duties as director Jan. 1. Barlow's scholarly journal, Positions, which addresses East Asian culture, was transferred to Rice in early June.In addition to providing intellectual leadership, Barlow will report directly to the office of Provost Eugene Levy and oversee 26 full-time faculty members and the department's administrative structure. Richard Smith, the interim director of the Chao Center, said Barlow was chosen for her interest and background in transnational circulations and cross-cultural comparative studies.

"What we wanted and got in Professor Barlow was a person who could provide dynamic intellectual leadership of the Chao Center's interdisciplinary and collaborative approach to Asian Studies," Smith said.