Wednesday, May 22, 2024 — Houston, TX

News in brief

College Way closureStarting last Wednesday, College Way in front of Autry Court began a daily scheduled 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. closure. The street will reopen next Tuesday. Construction crews are building a man hole and tying in new storm lines, Facilities Service Center Supervisor Eugene Kettlewell said in an e-mail last Friday.

He said sidewalks will remain open for pedestrian traffic and Lab Road, which lies between Entrance 18 and Alumni Drive, will become a two-way street with firemen directing vehicular traffic.

After 5 p.m. each day, when College Way temporarily reopens, Lab Road will again become a one-way street.

-Sarah Rutledge

New dean of sciences search

Dean of Natural Sciences Kathleen Matthews will be leaving her position in June.

A committee consisting of faculty, students, staff and a member from the Board of Trustees was formed last year, Provost Eugene Levy said in an e-mail Tuesday. He said the committee has not yet found a new dean to replace Matthews. Levy said he can not provide additional information on the selection process and that confidentiality will be maintained among those interested in the position. Assistant to the Provost Colleen Morimoto declined to comment further on the situation.

-Sarah Rutledge

Martel pipe bursts

Contractors hired by Housing and Dining to do work on the showers at Martel College broke a pipe Thursday morning on the east corner of the college, flooding water from the fourth floor to the third floor ceilings and walls, Frank Rodriguez, H&D Facilities Director, said.

Martel College junior Mike Benza, who lived in the room below the pipe break, said the water flowed through his ceiling, though he was able to move his belongings out of the way before they were damaged.

"The ceiling next door is completely saturated with water," Benza said. "I called [H&D] because I couldn't control it."

Benza speculated that the structural damage was extensive enough to require H&D to replace numerous walls and ceilings.

H&D temporarily shut off the water to Martel to repair the pipe, and emphasize that their liability was limited.

"The university is not responsible for things that happen in regards to accidents like pipes bursting," Rodriguez said.

-Catherine Bratic

Jones School breaks ground on new expansion, final project to wrap up spring 2026

The Jones Graduate School of Business will expand its building, constructing an additional 95,000 square feet around McNair Hall. Rice Business announced blueprint plans for the new $54.5 million building at its groundbreaking May 9. The new building will include multiple large classrooms, lecture halls, dining facilities, event spaces and communal areas, designed to “blend seamlessly with the campus and its surroundings.”

Audrey’s closes in advance of Jones School expansion

After four years of operation in McNair Hall, Audrey’s closed May 10 prior to the Jones Graduate School of Business expansion. The original Audrey’s space will be cleaved by a wall during construction, Niken Prabanto, co-owner of Greenway Coffee Company, which oversees Audrey’s, said.