President's Study Break to feature '50s Sock Hop theme, Elvis

By Catherine Bratic     4/17/08 7:00pm

In anticipation of stressful finals, President David Leebron and Dean of Undergraduates Robin Forman are inviting students to return to a much simpler era: The 1950s. The '50s Sock Hop-themed study break will celebrate the Rice Memorial Center's 50th anniversary and next Thursday's opening of the Brochstein Pavilion. The '50s Sock Hop will be held Sunday, April 27, from 9-11 p.m.Student Association External Vice President Nick Muscara said he thinks the study break will be attractive to students because it will incorporate the pavilion as well as the Ley Student Center.

"Hopefully we can utilize these new buildings to bring more students to the study break," Muscara, a Martel College freshman, said.

The study break will feature hula hoop contests, a cotton candy machine, a soda fountain at Willy's Pub, an album cover design contest and photo opportunities with an Elvis impersonator. Additionally, the Rice Social Dance Society will teach sock hop basics, and Spontaneous Combustion and the Philharmonics will perform at Willy's, Muscara said. The study break will feature All-American food, including mini burgers, corn dogs, baked beans and apple pie. Students will also be able to pick up a copy of this year's Campanile.

"I think that there's a lot for students to do at this study break," said Muscara. "Hopefully everyone will take an opportunity to spend 30 minutes or an hour to not worry about tests and to just have fun with [their] friends."

After the study break, the pavilion and its Diedrich's Coffee kiosk will remain open 24 hours a day through the finals period, from Thursday, April 24 to Monday, May 5.

The event is organized and sponsored by the office of the president, the office of the dean of undergraduates, Director of the Student Center Boyd Beckwith and the SA.

Hanszen College sophomore Teresa Bayer said she was interested in the new pavilion as well as the theme.

"Normally I wouldn't go [to the President's Study Breaks]," Bayer said. "But I think I might stop by just to see the new pavilion and Elvis.

Rice Adds Women’s Golf with Alumna Donation

Three months after the reinstatement of Rice’s diving team, athletic director Tommy McClelland announced a second sport coming to South Main in the near future. Rice will have a women’s golf team starting in the 2026-27 academic year.