Commentary: In the end, it's 'Rock, Chalk, Thank you, Jayhawks'

By Natalie Clericuzio     4/10/08 7:00pm

To the University of Kansas: Thank you.Thank you for doing what previously only the University of Tennessee was able to do - knock off an overrated team that kept getting lucky.

Thank you for exposing the weaknesses everyone knew were there in the team that played half of its schedule in Conference USA. Considering no other team from C-USA made the NCAA tournament, and that opponents in the C-USA include the likes of UTEP, East Carolina, and Rice (with an intimidating 3-27 record), Memphis clearly challenged itself for that portion of the season's competition. How this team maintained any level of sharpness against schools with historically strong basketball programs is a question that will probably plague basketball experts for years to come.

Thank you for proving that being able to hit free throws really does matter, and not just free throws while twenty-points ahead, but free throws that could make a game a three-possession contest with thirty-seconds left.

A mark of a true champion is being able to not only perform, but to excel when it matters. While Memphis was missing free throws, Mario Chalmers somehow managed to swish a three while being double-teamed with two seconds remaining to tie the game to send it to overtime. After that, the momentum, something Memphis hadn't really had to wrestle back all season, was swinging firmly in the Jayhawks' direction, and was there to stay.

Thank you for ensuring that rounds of debates will not plague the news media for weeks to come over who might have won the championship this year had Mississippi State scored four more points, because, let's be honest, if the Bulldogs could give Memphis that much trouble, the Tigers didn't really deserve to be the champions.

Thank you for taking the time to effectively execute some form of defense against Memphis, especially when you demonstrated how to run the 2-3 zone, the defense made for teams like you with two big men inside. Considering Michigan State's and Texas' previous attempts at it, this might as well have been rocket science.

Thank you for reminding Memphis that it is not okay to follow every fast-break dunk by unnecessarily and purposefully body-checking the closest member of the opposing team.

Thank you for being the national championship squad that won not only with determination and hustle but also with a level of sportsmanship and, dare I say, class. Because of you, a Memphis team known for its ridiculous disregard for their opponents and perhaps infamous because of its complete lack of competition in conference play will not be rewarded by going down in the record books as the winningest team in NCAA history.

Thank you for realizing that Joey Dorsey is all showboat and, much like the Titanic, not unsinkable.

Thank you for showing Dorsey's basketball immaturity in luring him into that silly fifth foul, which left his team high and dry on the boards for the conclusion of the biggest game of his career. On behalf of every single basketball fundamentalist out there, I am smiling.

Thank you for a championship game for the ages. After two boring routs, the Jayhawks - who flew somewhat below the radar all season - were able to bring down the glitterati of Memphis and win a somewhat "quiet championship" in memorable fashion. Their outstanding play against Davidson, this year's Cinderella team, propelled them to the Final Four, and by prolonging that level of intensity, the Jayhawks ensured the championship will be returning to Lawrence with them after a twenty-year respite.

Finally, thank you to Kansas for being considerate enough to win it all, since, for a University of North Carolina fan, it makes the tournament outcome a little bit easier to swallow knowing the Tar Heels lost to the best.

Natalie Clericuzio is a Wiess College freshman and assistant sports editor.

7.5% acceptance rate marks lowest in Rice history

Rice admitted 2,439 students from 32,459 applicants March 26, according to Vice President for Enrollment Yvonne Romero da Silva. With a 7.5% admit rate, this is the third consecutive year of record-low acceptance rates. The Thresher previously reported 7.7% and 8.56% acceptance rates for the Class and 2027 and 2026 respectively.