83 graduating seniors to enter Phi Beta Kappa society

By Cindy Dinh     4/17/08 7:00pm

This spring, 83 graduating seniors were invited to become members of Beta of Texas, Rice's Phi Beta Kappa chapter. The academic society, which was established in 1776 at the College of William and Mary, honors the top 10 percent of each graduating class. Last year, 86 Rice seniors entered Phi Beta Kappa. She also said the Beta chapter reviews graduating seniors' transcripts each spring. The society accepts members regardless of major and requires that students take at least 10 courses outside of their field of study. McStay said these additional classes emphasize a student's love for learning for the sake of learning.

"These courses represent the breadth and quest for knowledge students have," McStay said.

McStay said while chapters at other schools may recognize the top 15 percent of the graduating class, Rice recognizes the top 10 percent. The cutoff for the top 10 percent is more selective and rigorous because it only allows leeway for one one-hundredth of a point, McStay said.

Once inducted into PBK, students become lifetime members. Beta of Texas members include Rice faculty, students and staff who have been initiated by any PBK chapter. Members help the chapter host events like visiting scholar lectures.

The largest PBK event of the year is the annual initiation ceremony, held the day before commencement. The event, open to the public, includes the introduction of new members and announcement of the student-selected PBK award, awarded to a tenure track professor. Last year, linguistics professor Robert Englebretson received the award.

McStay said the initiation ceremony is unique.

"It's a sweet ceremony that uses language from 1776," McStay said.

In addition, the two top-ranked graduating seniors will deliver remarks about their time at Rice.

Students will also sign a historic ledger of Beta Texas members dating back to the first Rice chapter in 1929. The ceremony will explain the symbolic significance of the key, which embellishes the Phi Beta Kappa literature and memorabilia.

McStay said the ceremony will recognize the seniors' work throughout their time at Rice.

"The ceremony honors their achievement and breadth of education and the caliber and quality of their work," McStay said.

She said PBK is the oldest and most prestigious honor society in the United States.