Sunday, May 05, 2024 — Houston, TX

Brown to receive new masters at semester's end

By Rachel Carlson     3/27/08 7:00pm

Like its 2008 Beer-Bike theme proclaimed, this semester marks Brown College's last round with their masters, the Hutchinsons. Chemistry professor John Hutchinson and Paula Hutchinson have completed their five-year term as Brown masters. They will be replaced by mathematics professor Steve Cox and Laura Cox. The Coxes served as Sid Richardson College masters from 2000-2005.Chair of the Masters Search Committee Jessica Simon said she will miss the Hutchinsons but is eager to welcome the new masters.

"Hutch and Paula have been amazing influences on the colleges and in my personal life," Simon, a Brown senior, said. "They are two of most wonderful people I have ever met. But I am also so excited for the potential of Steve and Laura. It's an exciting time."

Cox said he and his wife chose to become Brown masters because they missed being immersed in students' lives.

"When we were masters at Sid, we loved being involved in so many lives and participating in diverse experiences," Cox said. "Our youngest son is graduating from college this semester, and it felt like the natural time to jump back in."

The Coxes are currently engaging in the Brown community by attending meals and events with students.

"It isn't reasonable to meet everybody at once, so we're meeting different groups at various events, based on their interests," Cox said.

The couple will move into the masters' house in mid-July and will greet incoming freshmen during Orientation Week.

Simon said a search committee selected the new masters after a lengthy application process. The committee was composed of seven Brown students, Office Coordinator Nancy Henry, Resident Associate Cory Rogge, Associate John Ambler and Hanszen College Master Wes Morris. Three candidate couples originally applied, two with experience as masters. After two rounds of interviews with the committee, former Brown President Robert Plummer and Dean of Undergraduates Robin Forman evaluated the candidates. Finally, President David Leebron selected the Coxes.

Hutchinson said he is pleased with the appointment.

"Steve and Laura Cox are longtime friends," Hutchinson said. "They were excellent masters of Sid, and we couldn't be happier with their selection."

The Hutchinsons are currently teaching the Coxes about nuances of Brown and its interactions with the masters. Though the Coxes have experience as masters, they must become acquainted with Brown cabinet members, academic fellows and associates, Paula Hutchinson said. They are also learning about unique operations of the college government, such as the custom of holding the first cabinet meeting of the year in the masters' house. The Hutchinsons said they hope the new masters will continue to encourage a strong college court during their term.

Simon said the Coxes also have creative energy and a litany of new ideas for Brown. "They have so many amazing ideas about new programs, but respect standing traditions," Simon said. "They have individual personality and a desire to learn from students at Brown."

Brown sophomore Seth O'Brien said he thinks Brown will be very receptive of its new masters despite its affection for the Hutchinsons.

"Hutch and Paula were awesome, but Brown will welcome new masters," O'Brien said.

The Hutchinsons plan to spend next year living in Colorado during John Hutchinson's sabbatical. He will accept a visiting appointment at the Atlas Institute at the University of Colorado, where he will help develop approaches for teaching with technology. Paula Hutchinson may continue to practice law, or branch out into other endeavors.

The Hutchinsons said their favorite part about being college masters was interacting with students.

"We have made friendships with hundreds of incredible people that we will carry for the rest of our lives," Hutchinson said.

Paula Hutchinson said she has enjoyed serving as a Brown master.

"Depending on how you approach it, being a master can either make you old before your time or keep you young," she said. "For us, it has definitely kept us young. Besides having our daughters, being masters has been the best experience of our lives.