Thursday, June 20, 2019 — Houston, TX 95°

Rondelet on a budget

cottage-shop-courtesy-stephen-curley
Courtesy Stephen Curley

By Katelyn Landry     4/2/19 10:24pm

Rondelet is this weekend and since you’re already coughing up 20 bucks for each ticket, here are some ways to spare your wallet from further damage in the name of your totally cute outfit. I am perpetually broke so trust in this list, because I only included shops that I would personally visit in order to not break the bank:

Thrift shops

The Cottage Shop is a resale boutique in Montrose owned and operated by The Women’s Home, so 100 percent of proceeds contribute to supporting women and their families. They have 25% off all boutique, regular and vintage clothing Thursday - Saturday, so stop by before this Friday night to take advantage of this discount. 

Buffalo Exchange is a campus favorite for a reason. Stop into the Montrose shop for some unique apparel, shoes, and jewelry that are sure to make you stand out. In my experience, their dresses usually go for $10 - $30.

Don’t be afraid of going to Goodwill for dress shopping. There are usually some hidden treasures among the ’80s prom dresses and corduroy jumpsuits that are just begging to be found. The price range at Goodwill is likely the cheapest among all of the thrift stores listed here. 

Flamingos Vintage Pound sells genuine vintage clothing - you guessed it - by the pound. Stop by on your way to Trader Joe’s on South Shepherd Dr. and find some one-of-a-kind pieces for your Rondelet ensemble. Their price range is usually about $10 - $20 for non-specialty items. 

Pavement Houston Clothing is another Montrose resale hotspot. This shop has contracts with popular retailers like Zara and Free People, so the clothes are slightly more expensive than your traditional thrift store (usually between $10 - $50) but they are also relatively “newer.” 

Fast fashion

Forever 21 may be infamous for its cheesy slogans that are slapped onto polyester jackets, but it also has a huge collection of relatively inexpensive maxi dresses that you can definitely pass off as a prom dress. You can get to Forever 21 at the Galleria Mall or with a short ride on the Metro Rail to Main Street Square.

Cotton On is one of the least expensive retail chains in the Galleria Mall and is perfect if you’re looking for a more casual, effortless Rondelet look. 

H&M hardly ever fails with its wide selection of formal and casual pieces for prices under $50 for the most part. Definitely check out the clearance rack before anything else. 

Vampire Weekend expertly packages insight and maturity on new album ‘Father of the Bride’

The second half of the album departs from the sunshine of the first half by evoking more somber, contemplative tones. Tracks “Sympathy” and “Sunflower” experiment with electronic synth and funk influences. As a result, Vampire Weekend’s effort to synthesize different genres with their trademark indie rock at particular points in the album is highly appreciated, and saves Father of the Bride from becoming a sidekick to Modern Vampires. 

Ktru Outdoor Show delivers eight hours of sunny entertainment

On Saturday, the Central Quad came alive as a multitude of students and community members gathered on picnic blankets for the 28th annual ktru outdoor show. The show, lasting eight total hours, featured a diverse mix of acts from the quirky indie duo Coco & Clair Clair to the intimidating performance of Kilo Kish. 

Identities laid bare at senior art show

Nineteen visual and dramatic arts students, most of whom are double majors, presented their work at the senior art show last night. Their passion bleeds out into sculpture, painting and film but also through these other academic and cultural aspects of their lives — all on display in Sewall Hall.