Monday, April 22, 2019 — Houston, TX 70°

Food halls and food street to bring new cuisine to Houston

food-halls-courtesy-trademark-property
Courtesy Trademark Property

By Christina Tan     1/15/19 9:36pm

A Rice Village food hall, downtown food hall and a Bellaire Boulevard food street will join the ranks of Houston’s expansive culinary scene, bringing both nationwide favorites like boba shop Chatime and locally-sourced food stalls within a 10-mile radius of campus. 

Rice Village Food Hall

According to Paper City Magazine, the company behind New Orleans-based St. Roch Market will replace currently abandoned Rice Village Arcade property with a brand-new food hall. A newer concept to the restaurant scene, food halls combine the well-known communal aspect of food courts with an emphasis on local, artisanal shops and markets. Such halls match increasing consumer expectations of fresh, locally-sourced food while reducing costs for restaurants who might otherwise struggle to maintain full-fledged spaces. 

With a 4.5/5.0 rating on Yelp, St. Roch Market is beloved in New Orleans. It features cuisines like cold-pressed juices, Haitian street food and New Orleans seafood. 

St. Roch Market’s press contact Luciana Salame said that the company was not ready to give more details on the Houston project, but will increase communication when development begins. Due to an ongoing lawsuit about the St. Roch Market name, Will Donaldson, a company principal, told Eater Houston that the Rice Village market will not bear the same name. The unnamed food hall will join the likes of Finn Hall, mentioned recently as a Houston highlight in the New York Times’ 52 Places to Visit in 2019

Downtown Food Hall

Too impatient to wait for a Rice Village installment? Another 35,000 square foot food hall named Understory will take residence in the downtown tunnels, according to Eater Houston. The hall will include a full-service restaurant, seven food stalls and a cocktail bar. Designed by architect Michael Hsu (responsible for Uchi and Local Foods), the hall will also include a large “gathering place” staircase connecting the street with the downtown tunnel system. 

Bellaire Food Street

A food street will arrive on Bellaire Boulevard as part of a Chinatown expansion, according to Eater Houston. The street will feature nine eateries, seven of which have already been confirmed. All nine will be open by summer 2019, with some opening before then. The street, which is essentially a long, horizontal plaza, will include well-known boba chain Chatime, South Korean coffee chain Tom N Toms Coffee and Beard Papa’s cream puff chain. It will also include a local Houston fast-casual style restaurant, Wai Station. 

Dean Whiting to leave school of architecture after nine years

The current dean of architecture, Sarah Whiting, will leave Rice this summer to become the first female dean of Harvard Graduate School of Design. Whiting has been dean since 2010 and oversaw many pivotal changes in the school of architecture, such as the implementation of the “Totalization” program, an immersive studio experience for sixth-year architecture students.

Identities laid bare at senior art show

Nineteen visual and dramatic arts students, most of whom are double majors, presented their work at the senior art show last night. Their passion bleeds out into sculpture, painting and film but also through these other academic and cultural aspects of their lives — all on display in Sewall Hall. 

Millora-Brown to transfer; Kreider to leave for new job

Rice men’s basketball will experience a shakeup in both its player roster and staff next year. According to multiple anonymous sources, freshman center Quentin Millora-Brown has entered the NCAA transfer portal with intent to transfer and assistant coach Chris Kreider has left his position to join Georgia State University as an assistant coach.