Monday, July 22, 2019 — Houston, TX 85°

Daiso opening brings Japanese whimsy to Houston

daiso-courtesy-yelp
Courtesy of Yelp

By Ryan Lee     10/16/18 11:50pm

A sock for a water bottle, a hammock for bathroom items, slippers that clean the floor as you walk – these are some of the many items one can find in Daiso, the most recent Asian craze to enter the Houston scene since 85C Bakery Cafe. Daiso is a Japanese dollar store that has an international presence. But to call it a dollar store does not do it justice, because Daiso is more than an exporter of Japanese commercial items – it’s an exporter of Japanese lifestyle. 

Daiso has a particularly personal place in my heart. Whenever I travel back to my hometown in Taiwan, I always bring an empty luggage case with me to stock up on Daiso goods. Items at Daiso cost on average $1.50 and can be loosely placed into four categories. The first contains items of unusual concept, including monkey-shaped oven mitts, happy-looking rice paddle spoons and duck-shaped phone docking stations. The second is containers and storage. There are shelves upon shelves of Tupperware, shampoo bottles, condiment bottles, storage boxes, mason jars, gift bags and stickers to label these containers. The third has items made to look like toys: toy-like computer mice, toy-like erasers, toy-like shower caps and even toy-like aluminum foil. Finally, there are items that have detailed, innovative design. My favorite among these is their netted sponge, which is the best dish sponge I have ever used. Other innovatively designed items include a contraption that makes dumplings and glow-in-the-dark glue sticks.

The best way for me to talk about the Japanese sensibilities of Daiso is to compare it to its counterparts in the United States. I remember the first time I walked into a Michael’s – I felt like I had entered a factory. I would peruse an entire aisle and find nothing but rows and rows of the same uniform yellow-bodied, pink-tipped pencils. When I shopped at Houston’s Daiso store, none of the aisles were stocked with too much of the same thing. In fact, the variety of merchandise was so broad that I went through each aisle twice and still felt like there was more to be discovered. 

What I have noticed about Japanese design philosophy is that one size does not fit all. In Daiso, I found pencils in a shade other than yellow and eraser tips that look like giant teeth. I found ice cube trays that do not form ice into cubes, but into pyramids and spheres. There is a bit of whimsy in the most mundane of things. Daiso proves that thoughtful design and excitement can be present even in the lowest of price ranges. By elevating the everyday things with a delightful twist, Daiso demonstrates that nothing in life is too small to be overlooked.

Daiso opened on Oct. 5 and is located at 11151 Westheimer Road, Houston, TX 77042.

Vampire Weekend expertly packages insight and maturity on new album ‘Father of the Bride’

The second half of the album departs from the sunshine of the first half by evoking more somber, contemplative tones. Tracks “Sympathy” and “Sunflower” experiment with electronic synth and funk influences. As a result, Vampire Weekend’s effort to synthesize different genres with their trademark indie rock at particular points in the album is highly appreciated, and saves Father of the Bride from becoming a sidekick to Modern Vampires. 

Ktru Outdoor Show delivers eight hours of sunny entertainment

On Saturday, the Central Quad came alive as a multitude of students and community members gathered on picnic blankets for the 28th annual ktru outdoor show. The show, lasting eight total hours, featured a diverse mix of acts from the quirky indie duo Coco & Clair Clair to the intimidating performance of Kilo Kish. 

Identities laid bare at senior art show

Nineteen visual and dramatic arts students, most of whom are double majors, presented their work at the senior art show last night. Their passion bleeds out into sculpture, painting and film but also through these other academic and cultural aspects of their lives — all on display in Sewall Hall.