A Symphony of Silhouettes: Discovery Green presents “moonGARDEN”

img-0061

Houstonians visit Discovery Green’s “moonGARDEN” on Oct. 1. Photo by Katelyn Landry.

By Katelyn Landry     10/2/18 11:29pm

Hidden in the bustle of downtown Houston now lies a vibrant moonscape that takes shadow storytelling to a whole new level. 

Discovery Green is hosting “moonGARDEN,” a unique art installation of 22 illuminated spheres, from Sept. 29 through Oct. 7. The project was created by Lucion Traveling Light of Montreal and has been seen by over one million people worldwide since 2012. According to Lucion Media, the content of the spherical “shadow theaters” can be customized to fit a chosen theme or history. The Houston exhibition of “moonGARDEN” is the largest in the United States and the first in Texas. The exhibit’s welcome sign explains how artists behind “moonGARDEN” hope this innovation in shadow play “inspires others to dream and find their own creativity.” The landscape of Discovery Green suits the art installation extraordinarily well with plenty of space, trees and other complimentary attractions such as an illuminated splash pad and the famous Gateway Fountain. 

The spheres range from 6 to 30 feet in diameter and are scattered throughout the Discovery Green lawn and the plaza at Avenida Houston. Inside each “bubble” are structures and mechanisms that cast huge shadows onto the surface. Generated by an inner rotating light, these shadows provoked excited screams from children and some unique Instagram opportunities for the hundreds of visitors in attendance. Each bubble showcases different silhouettes that represent a certain aspect of Houston culture. One bubble is meant to represent family, so an image of two parents holding their child as it takes its first step glides across the surface. Another bubble serves as an homage to Houston sports by depicting a Houston Texans football helmet, a Rockets player making a shot and the stadium lights of Minute Maid Park. From Oct. 1 to 3, “moonGARDEN” offered guided “Twilight Tours” by one of Lucion’s contributing artists, who explained the design and purpose of each shadow theater in order to give audiences a deeper understanding of how “moonGARDEN” tells the story of Houston.

With light instrumental music playing in the background and the spheres reflecting in the pond nearby, the atmosphere of “moonGARDEN” is practically fairylike. The huge bubble-like theaters inspire awe from visitors young and old. It’s certainly easy to see how the space inspired wonder and play for children while providing a serene getaway for the adults in attendance. 

“MoonGARDEN” gives Houstonians a chance to escape the bustle of the city and be captivated by the power of storytelling and imagination. The installation undoubtedly services Houston families by presenting a novel art form that induces that childlike curiosity that gets lost in routine. Be sure to catch “moonGARDEN” before it’s gone — the installation will be on display until Sunday Oct. 7 from 6 p.m. to 12 a.m. 

Museum fellows talk art, academia and experiential learning

On Monday mornings at 8 a.m., Ella Langridge walks upstairs to her desk at the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens and gets to work, sifting through photocopies of Americana and decorative arts with pasts unknown. Langridge’s job, as this year’s Jameson Fellow for American Painting & Decorative Arts, is to research these artifacts, uncover their histories and communicate their uniquely American stories to the collection’s thousands of annual visitors. 

Review: ‘Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire’ is Peak Cinema

There is no easy way to quantify a film, much to the chagrin of lazy film critics and lazier audiences. We may try to force a movie to fit into a box labeled ⅗ or ⅘ , but occasionally, there appears a work of art that refuses such indignity. A breathtaking fabrication that rejects the premise of a “rating,” whatever that monstrous practice might entail. These magna opera simply are. Along this line of thought, it makes sense to characterize this film for what it is, rather than lambast it for what it is not. This movie is about giant monkeys and lizards fighting. 

Review: “Bryson Tiller re-envisions genre on self-titled album”

Seasoned R&B singer Bryson Tiller has returned with his fourth studio album, a self-titled record that infuses cyberpunk aesthetics into both its visuals and its sound. On the eponymous album, Tiller, best known for hits like “Don’t” and “Exchange,” takes on the challenge of deconstructing his own artistic journey. “Bryson Tiller” is a multi-genre departure from Tiller’s comfort zone. It features pop, dancehall, neo-soul and drill elements next to his signature combination of hip hop and R&B.