Wednesday, June 19, 2019 — Houston, TX 84°

​Student Success Initiatives’ food pantry aims to address food insecurity

By Anna Ta     8/21/18 11:58pm

Student Success Initiatives opened a food pantry accessible to the Rice community in order to address food insecurity on campus.

The pantry is located in the SSI main office in the Rice Memorial Center cloisters and is accessible on Monday and Friday from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. and on Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m.

Community members can also request to visit outside of those hours by contacting Jessica Bowers Chukwu at jb73@rice.edu or Carli Rosati at cmr14@rice.edu.

The pantry is completely anonymous and SSI will be conducting anonymous surveys to ensure it is providing the most beneficial items.

Bowers, the assistant director of SSI, said the SSI secured resources from the Office of the Dean of Undergraduates in order to open the pantry.

“The idea of establishing a food pantry has been in the queue for a while,” Bowers said. “Our ultimate goal is to create a self-sustaining resource through donations from the Rice community.”

Community members can submit non-perishable food items as well as financial donations by contacting Chukwu or Rosati.