Monday, July 22, 2019 — Houston, TX 85°

Yue Nakayama: 2017-2016-2015, at the Matchbox Gallery

Nakayama tries to understand the individual’s role in a politically absurd world with humor and surrealism.

match_boxxinyu_chencol

By Xinyu Chen     3/28/18 1:56am

Above: A visitor looks on at the work of Houston-based video and performance artist Yue Nakayama during her Sunday opening at Matchbox Gallery. Nakayama tries to understand the individual’s role in a politically absurd world with humor and surrealism. The gallery is avalable for viewing from 3 to 6 p.m. daily.

Vampire Weekend expertly packages insight and maturity on new album ‘Father of the Bride’

The second half of the album departs from the sunshine of the first half by evoking more somber, contemplative tones. Tracks “Sympathy” and “Sunflower” experiment with electronic synth and funk influences. As a result, Vampire Weekend’s effort to synthesize different genres with their trademark indie rock at particular points in the album is highly appreciated, and saves Father of the Bride from becoming a sidekick to Modern Vampires. 

Ktru Outdoor Show delivers eight hours of sunny entertainment

On Saturday, the Central Quad came alive as a multitude of students and community members gathered on picnic blankets for the 28th annual ktru outdoor show. The show, lasting eight total hours, featured a diverse mix of acts from the quirky indie duo Coco & Clair Clair to the intimidating performance of Kilo Kish. 

Identities laid bare at senior art show

Nineteen visual and dramatic arts students, most of whom are double majors, presented their work at the senior art show last night. Their passion bleeds out into sculpture, painting and film but also through these other academic and cultural aspects of their lives — all on display in Sewall Hall.