Concert Preview: Five Essential October Shows

By Lydia Dick     10/5/15 2:51pm

Mad you couldn’t get tickets for ACL? Fortunately, there are plenty of good acts coming to Houston this October. Here are five concerts you won’t want to miss.

Who: BORNS, Avid Dancer

Where: Walter’s Downtown

When: Oct. 9, 8 p.m.

Tickets: $25 general admission on stubhub.com

If you’re in for more indie-pop, be sure to check out BORNS. He has been dropping numerous catchy singles over the past few months including “Electric Love,” and is releasing a new album “Dopamine” on Oct. 16. See him cheap before he gets big.

Who: Run the Jewels: Jewel Runner Fall Tour

Where: House of Blues

When: Oct. 13, 8 p.m.

Tickets: From $22 on songkick.com

Ever since Atlanta-based rapper Killer Mike and rapper/producer El-P teamed up to form Run the Jewels, their hip-hop duo has received praise from critics and listeners alike. Also, you have to love their sense of humor. Their latest album “Meow the Jewels” remixes their 2014 hit album “Run the Jewels 2” entirely with the use of cat sounds.

Who: The Internet: Ego Death tour

Where: Warehouse Live

When: Oct. 14, 8 p.m.

Tickets: $20 for general admission on ticketfly.com

Drifting away from traditional R&B, the Internet draws from a unique mix of hip-hop, jazz, and soul. They are currently on tour for their latest album “Ego Death,” which was released in early June.

Who: Mac Demarco

Where: Warehouse Live

When: Oct. 18, 8 p.m.

Tickets: $22 for general admission on ticketfly.com

Expect to hear quirky, guitar-based tracks from singer/songwriter Mac Demarco. His latest album “Another One” came out Aug. 7.

Who: Oddisee: The Good Fight World Tour

Where: House of Blues

When: Oct. 27, 8 p.m.

Tickets: $19.33 on livenation.com

DC-based hip-hop rapper and producer Oddisee stands out in hip-hop world for his insightful and relatable lyrics backed by quality production reminiscent of A Tribe Called Quest. Be sure to listen to his April release “The Good Fight,” which will be featured on the tour.