Clark visits NCAA championship

86b1a30deb2df568bf9eaf6582ff7679
Photo by Courtesy James Hilton | The Rice Thresher

Junior Casey Clark celebrates her success after a meet. She competed in the NCAA championships in the 100-yard butterfly, 200-yard freestyle and 100-yard freestyle events last weekend.

By Julie Doar     3/25/14 7:59pm

Last weekend, swimmer Casey Clark represented Rice University in three events at the NCAA Women’s Swimming and Diving Championships in Minneapolis, Minn. Clark, a Baker College junior, competed in the 100-yard butterfly, the 200-yard freestyle and the 100-yard freestyle events.

Last weekend, swimmer Casey Clark represented Rice University in three events at the NCAA Women’s Swimming and Diving Championships in Minneapolis, Minn. Clark, a Baker College junior, competed in the 100-yard butterfly, the 200-yard freestyle and the 100-yard freestyle events. She placed 32nd in the 100-yard butterfly, 49th in the 200-yard freestyle and tied for 49th in the 100-yard freestyle. Clark did not qualify for the finals.

Clark said she was excited for the NCAAs and wanted to continue her momentum from the regular season and Conference USA championships.

“I was most looking forward to the [100-yard butterfly] this past weekend,” Clark said. “That was my focus throughout the season, and I felt that it was my best chance of making it back to finals.”

Clark managed to advance to the second round in the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 53.07 and swam the 100-yard freestyle with 49.67. Clark said she was pleased with her performance despite not advancing to the finals.

“I was 32nd in the [100-yard butterfly], which was an improvement from my seeding,” Clark said. “Both of my 100s were relatively close to my best times, so I was happy with those events.”

Clark said she has taken much away from her experience and gained a new perspective and appreciation for the sport. 

“The experience has taught me perspective,” Clark said. “It’s so easy in the moment to get caught up in focusing on moving down in placing or adding time that it’s easy to forget that the meet represents some of the fastest swimmers in the country. Taking some perspective and enjoying the experience are the most important things I took away from the meet.”

Although the season has ended, Clark has a far-seeing eye. She said she is already looking forward to her senior-year season, and she wants to help get a team relay qualified for the NCAAs next year.

“My goals for the rest of my swimming career are getting a relay qualified for NCAA as well as scoring points at the championship,” Clark said.