Romance For One

By Rice Thresher Staff     2/10/14 6:00pm

It's that time of year when, ready or not, you become unquestionably aware of your relationship status. Whether you're casually dating, going steady or living single, Valentine's Day can be a stressful experience.

If you're sailing solo, it can definitely be tempting to hop on board the SS Forever Alone with a box of discounted chocolates and some T-Swift, but before you do, remember that Valentine's Day is not destined to suck, especially if you make plans to spend it with friends. Here are a few ways to add some friendly spice to this  year's celebrations:

Laugh Your Tears Away

Comedy shows are ideal for singles if you think about it: There's zero romance but plenty of entertainment to keep your mind off that special someone you'd rather forget. So put on some real pants and head to Houston Improv to see the hysterical Bobby Lee, former MADtv comedian. The event starts at 8 p.m., and tickets are between $22 and $35. 

Crush Party

If OkCupid and Tinder just aren't igniting your love life, try RPC's Crush Party to meet your dream date. If not your dream date, at least another person whose spirit animal is also a reptar or honey badger.

Mixers and Elixirs

The Museum of Natural Science would like to help you pregame Valentine's Day on Thursday, Feb. 13 from 7-10 with drinks, live music and food. If you're feeling especially vindictive, you are invited to name a roach after an ex and make it race for fun. Afterward, stop by the Bug Chef for some delicious arthropods that will cure your love bug in no time.

Love Sux

Don't mourn your nonexistent love life alone this Valentine's Day. Meet some hot (and definitely vulnerable) singletons at Howl at the Moon's "Love Sux" party on the 14th, starting at 5 p.m. Feb. 14. There will be tons of anti-Valentine's drinks, games with serious cash prizes. You even get free cover if you bring in a mutilated photo of your ex. Do yourself a favor and save your Ben & Jerry's and DVR recordings for

Saturday night.

Stay on Campus

If you want to give your boyfriend pillow a well-deserved break, venture out to Kinda Sketchy's performance "The People You Should Be Dating" at 9 p.m., Feb. 14 at the RMC Grand Hall. Also, if you're the artsy type, follow up your Valentine's Day at CelebrateArt, an event organized by students to encourage creativity on campus. There will be student artwork, performances and other creative activities.