Monday, April 22, 2019 — Houston, TX 71°

Volleyball on the rise after two wins in Florida

By Julie Doar     11/5/13 6:00pm

Rice University women's volleyball swept the weekend, beating both Florida Atlantic University 3-1 and Florida International University 3-1 to give the team a two-game winning streak. The team will have a chance to continue its success this Thursday, Nov. 7, against Houston Baptist University. Rice will then play Tulane University in a conference game at home this Sunday.

Head Coach Genny Volpe said the team is satisfied with its victories over Florida Atlantic and FIU.  She said the games were difficult, but Rice came out on top.

"We are really pleased with the team's performance this weekend," Volpe said. "It is not easy to win on the road, and those are two pretty tough teams to play on their home courts."

Volpe said the team won by playing with a consistent style. While the team has struggled in the past with maintaining a lead, Volpe said the Owls have recently avoided sacrificing points and have been able to win crucial sets.

"I think one of the key reasons that we won both of those matches was that in tight situations, we played steady and smart volleyball," Volpe said. "We didn't give them points ... there were times that the opposition could have pushed us to five sets, but we either held onto our lead or fought back and won a key set. This was very important."

The team's strategy for the rest of the season is simple. Senior outside hitter Mariah Riddlesprigger said Rice will work on its play this weekend in preparation to do well in the conference tournament.

"This week in practice, we are going to focus on our side of the net and [on] improving our game for the conference tournament," Riddlesprigger said.

Riddlesprigger said the team aims to win the conference tournament. Their current record in conference play is 5-6. If Rice manages to win the three remaining conference games, the Owls will be in a solid position as they enter the tournament. Riddlesprigger said the team is utterly committed to getting itself in that position.

"At this point, our focus is on winning the conference tournament," Riddlesprigger said. "There is no looking back, and our complete focus is putting us in the best position to win the conference tournament."

Volpe said the team is confident in its ability to win its remaining games. She said the Owls just need to continue to play consistent volleyball. 

"We know that we can beat anybody that we play from here on out," Volpe said. "It's just a matter of execution on our side of the net ... and [of] staying strong and healthy."

It took the team a bit of time to reach this winning streak, but Volpe said its momentum is here to stay. Volpe said Rice's recent wins indicate that the team has at last managed to decrease mistakes in close games and capitalize on leads by finishing sets strong. Volpe said now that the Owls have reached this level of play, the team aims to continue the winning streak.

"Our goal is to keep gaining momentum through solid play," Volpe said.

Dean Whiting to leave school of architecture after nine years

The current dean of architecture, Sarah Whiting, will leave Rice this summer to become the first female dean of Harvard Graduate School of Design. Whiting has been dean since 2010 and oversaw many pivotal changes in the school of architecture, such as the implementation of the “Totalization” program, an immersive studio experience for sixth-year architecture students.

Identities laid bare at senior art show

Nineteen visual and dramatic arts students, most of whom are double majors, presented their work at the senior art show last night. Their passion bleeds out into sculpture, painting and film but also through these other academic and cultural aspects of their lives — all on display in Sewall Hall. 

Millora-Brown to transfer; Kreider to leave for new job

Rice men’s basketball will experience a shakeup in both its player roster and staff next year. According to multiple anonymous sources, freshman center Quentin Millora-Brown has entered the NCAA transfer portal with intent to transfer and assistant coach Chris Kreider has left his position to join Georgia State University as an assistant coach.