Monday, April 22, 2019 — Houston, TX 70°

Homecoming Week November 10-16

By Rice Thresher Staff     11/5/13 6:00pm

Building off the model set by Willy Week and last year's Centennial Celebration, this year's Homecoming will encompass an entire week of events. According to Student Association President Yoonjin Min, the SA hopes to establish a new tradition celebrating Rice spirit. Min said that while Willy Week focuses on the colleges, she hopes Homecoming Week will focus on Rice.

"During Beer Bike, all the colleges come together, but in a lot of ways they're pitted against each other," Min said. "It's about college spirit that week. Everyone has their own theme, and everyone is essentially competing to be the best college. For Homecoming Week, it's about Rice. It's about everyone coming together and celebrating the great school that we're at and all the great things that are happening at it."

Homecoming Cup Points

SPORTING EVENTS

For each Rice Athletics event: 3 photos maximum, 2 points per photo, 6 or more people per photo (total of 6 points and 18 different people per event)

Pep rally: 3 photos maximum, 5 points per photo, must have 6 people per photo (total of 15 points and 18 different people)

PHOTOS

For each item: 5 points per photo, only 1 photo per item

50 students spelling out an "R"

At least 10 students wearing this year's college O-Week shirt

10 students making an owl sign in front of the RMC owl statue

At least one half of the college executive team in college-specific shirts in front of the "Mirror" statue by Herring Hall

10 people in Rice shirts at College Row Tailgate with a sign that indicates what college you are from

10 students with college alumni for alumni event

Film a video of Dean of Undergraduates John Hutchinson saying an appropriate cheer for your college

15 students with the college crest

15 students from your college wearing National Philanthropy Week shirts

Homecoming events

Mr. Rice Pageant

1st place - 25 pts, 2nd place - 20 pts, 3rd place - 15 pts

A Midsummer Night's Dream (Founder's Court, Nov. 6, 7:30 p.m.)

Sign-in sheet, 15 people sign - 10 points

SpoCo event (Oct. 25, 7 p.m.)

Eight people in one photo - 10 points (only one photo total)

National Philanthropy Week trivia teams

Five points per team (that participate in the event). Max three teams.

National Philanthropy Week trivia winner 

1st place - 15, 2nd place - 10 , 3rd place - 5

Attendance at Beats and Beer (Willy's Pub, Nov. 7, 10 p.m. - 2 a.m.)

1st place - 10 , 2nd place - 5, 3rd place - 3

SCHEDULE

SUNDAY 11/10 

College Kickoffs

Each college will host its own festivities to celebrate the start of Homecoming Week. Times and locations depend on colleges. Serveries will be closed.

Monday 11/11

Mr. Rice Pageant

One representative from each college will compete in Rice's annual male beauty pageant. The winner gets eternal glory. Grand Hall, RMC, 9 p.m.

Tuesday 11/12

RPC Presents: The Hunger Games

RPC hosts a special showing of The Hunger Games (2012) on the lawn at Founder's Court. Attendees will be treated to a surprise giveaway. Founder's Court, 9 p.m.

Wednesday 11/13

Pep Rally and Sammy's Picnic

Students will gather in Founder's Court to get pumped for Homecoming Week. Food will be provided. Serveries will be closed. Founder's Court, 5 p.m.

Sports Trivia Night

Sports enthusiasts will have a chance to test their knowledge in a trivia competition at Willy's Pub. Willy's Pub, 10 p.m.

Thursday 11/14

National Philanthropy Week "Willy Rice to Mr. Rice: 101 years of Rice Trivia"

Test your knowledge of all things Rice in this competition, hosted by the newly crowned Mr. Rice. There will be free food. Grand Hall, RMC, 11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.

Young Alumni Pub Night

All the recent grads are invited to a special pub night held in their honor. Willy's Pub, 10 p.m. (21+ only).

Senior Ring Ceremony

Members of the Class of 2014 will receive their class rings.

Friday 11/15

College Block Parties

North Colleges will gather in the Jones College quad and grassy area outside West Servery. South Colleges will gather in the Baker College quad. Serveries will be closed. 4 - 7 p.m.

Saturday 11/16

Tailgate Owley and Rice Owls football

College Row is back - homecoming style. Each college will host a tailgate to rally before the big homecoming football game. West Lot, 4 p.m.

Rice vs. Louisiana Tech University. This will be the second-to-last home game of the season. Rice Stadium, 6 p.m. 

RPC Presents: Esperanza

Rice's annual homecoming dance will take place in the Homecoming Tent outside Baker Hall. The theme this year is "A Night of Fire and Ice." Tickets for the event are sold out. Homecoming Tent, 10 p.m.

Dean Whiting to leave school of architecture after nine years

The current dean of architecture, Sarah Whiting, will leave Rice this summer to become the first female dean of Harvard Graduate School of Design. Whiting has been dean since 2010 and oversaw many pivotal changes in the school of architecture, such as the implementation of the “Totalization” program, an immersive studio experience for sixth-year architecture students.

Identities laid bare at senior art show

Nineteen visual and dramatic arts students, most of whom are double majors, presented their work at the senior art show last night. Their passion bleeds out into sculpture, painting and film but also through these other academic and cultural aspects of their lives — all on display in Sewall Hall. 

Millora-Brown to transfer; Kreider to leave for new job

Rice men’s basketball will experience a shakeup in both its player roster and staff next year. According to multiple anonymous sources, freshman center Quentin Millora-Brown has entered the NCAA transfer portal with intent to transfer and assistant coach Chris Kreider has left his position to join Georgia State University as an assistant coach.