Saturday, December 07, 2019 — Houston, TX 60°

Women’s cross country earns top three finish at regionals

cross-country-cloris-cai
Photo Credit: Cloris Cai

By Spencer Moffat     11/14/18 12:28am

After finishing third at the Conference USA Championships, Rice women’s cross country  shined by finishing fifth out of 22 teams at the NCAA South Central Regional. The race was the third consecutive meet in which the Owls finished in the top five; Rice placed second out of 23 teams on Oct. 13 at the Santa Clara Bronco Invitational.

On Friday, the Owls were led by sophomore Lourdes Vivas de Lorenzi, who earned her first career NCAA Championship berth. She qualified after placing 10th overall in the 6-kilometer race. As a team, the Owls tallied 162 points in their fifth-place finish, trailing (in ascending order) Texas A&M, Texas State University, UT, and Arkansas. Rice missed out on fourth place by just eight points.

Though Vivas de Lorenzi said the team didn’t achieve its overall goal, she also said the team ran well against many strong opponents.

“We wanted to place top-two as a team but we were 73 points away from second place,” Vivas de Lorenzi said. “However, it was a very competitive field and we still improved tremendously from 11th place last year to fifth place this year.”

Rice also received NCAA All-Regional performances from freshman Ryann Helmers (17th, 21:21) and junior Khayla Patel (25th, 21:36). The Owls’ youngest class made a statement on Friday, with freshman Ashley Messineo placing 42nd with a time of 22:05 and freshman Alyssa Balandran placing 74th with a time of 22:48. The next best finisher for Rice was sophomore Mary Claire Neal, who narrowly placed within the top 100 with a time of  23:22 in the 6-kilometer race. 

According to Vivas de Lorenzi, the freshmen’s race performance was particularly impressive.

“I am so proud of all our freshmen,” Vivas de Lorenzi said. “They all really stepped up to help the team and have been great in general. I’m really excited to see what we will do next year since we have such a young team and all of our runners will be back next season.”

Next Saturday, Vivas de Lorenzi travels to the University of Wisconsin to compete in the NCAA Championships. She said she was surprised but gratified to qualify for the nationwide competition.

“I never thought I would be making it to nationals as a sophomore,” Vivas de Lorenzi said. “I’m extremely excited to just go to Wisconsin, race to the best of my abilities, and enjoy the experience.”

Season Recap: Football team ends season on a positive note

In the season finale, Rice football defeated the University of Texas, El Paso 30-16, outscoring the Miners 16-0 in the second half en route to their third consecutive victory on Saturday. The victory in Rice’s season finale improved the Owls’ final record to 3-9, a one-win increase over last year’s total and tied for Rice’s best finish since 2016.

It’s a good time to be a Rice sports fan

As the semester wraps up, it’s a good time to take stock of how Rice Athletics is doing as a whole. At this moment, we believe that there is good reason to be happy and optimistic with how the Owls are performing now and will perform in the future. On a sport by sport basis, Rice sports teams are ending the decade at a peak. 

Volleyball wins berth to compete in NCAA Tournament

Volleyball will compete in the NCAA tournament after receiving an at-large bid to play against the University of Oklahoma in the first round during Sunday night’s Selection Show. Transportation will not be provided for Rice students to the match against OU, but the possibility exists a student bus will travel to College Station on Friday if the Owls win their first round match, according to Rice director of marketing David Pillen.