Friday, February 23, 2024 — Houston, TX

Letter to the Editor: Respect all ideas

11/16/16 8:00am

To the Editors, 

The result of this week’s election has ramifications far beyond partisan politics. Donald Trump’s stunning victory is a threat to civil rights, liberties and discourse, as well as to deeply shared values of inclusiveness and tolerance. Campuses and other communities across the country are already reporting increases in hateful speech and actions. We encourage the open and free exchange of ideas, even those outside the bounds of “political correctness.” We want to be a place where ideas from opposing perspectives can be engaged. We cannot, however, allow expressions of hate and intolerance to go unchallenged. Our campus, city and nation must remain places where all people feel safe and empowered.

We are dedicated to exposing and addressing injustice in all its forms via our research and teaching, and we will work to maintain an atmosphere of civility and respect for all in the months and years ahead. We look forward to working with others in pursuit of these fundamental principles.

The Rice sociology department faculty, postdoctoral fellows and graduate students

Jae Kim for SA president

Due to his previous successful initiatives, desire to correct flaws within the Student Association and passion for student advocacy, we, the Thresher Editorial Board, endorse Jae Kim for SA president.

Chelsea Asibbey for SA secretary

In a rather rare contested election, the Student Association has two candidates on the upcoming ballot for secretary: Chelsea Asibbey and Calla Doh. Due to her fresh perspective outside of the Student Association, willingness to take initiative on her own ideas and emphasis on serving Rice communities, we, the Thresher Editorial Board, endorse Chelsea Asibbey for SA secretary.