Tuesday, March 31, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Letter to the Editor: Respect all ideas

11/16/16 8:00am

To the Editors, 

The result of this week’s election has ramifications far beyond partisan politics. Donald Trump’s stunning victory is a threat to civil rights, liberties and discourse, as well as to deeply shared values of inclusiveness and tolerance. Campuses and other communities across the country are already reporting increases in hateful speech and actions. We encourage the open and free exchange of ideas, even those outside the bounds of “political correctness.” We want to be a place where ideas from opposing perspectives can be engaged. We cannot, however, allow expressions of hate and intolerance to go unchallenged. Our campus, city and nation must remain places where all people feel safe and empowered.

We are dedicated to exposing and addressing injustice in all its forms via our research and teaching, and we will work to maintain an atmosphere of civility and respect for all in the months and years ahead. We look forward to working with others in pursuit of these fundamental principles.

The Rice sociology department faculty, postdoctoral fellows and graduate students

From the editor’s desk: How it feels to say goodbye too early

When the inevitable news broke that classes were moving online and students had to move off campus for the rest of the semester, I started sobbing. Immediately. Through my tears, I wrote the breaking news posts on the Thresher’s social media, and then thought of previous Editor-in-Chief Andrew Grottkau’s riveting column during Hurricane Harvey. It was time for me to write a column like that one, I thought to myself, one that is inspiring and full of hope and captures the emotions of community and strength.