Friday, May 24, 2019 — Houston, TX 84°

Former SA presidential candidate Cavallaro to serve as parliamentarian

candidate-3-col-christina-tan
Christina Tan/Thresher

By Rishab Ramapriyan     4/16/19 11:55pm

Freddy Cavallaro will serve as Student Association parliamentarian for the next year, according to SA President Grace Wickerson.

Cavallaro, a Will Rice College junior, had run in this year’s SA president election on a platform to reform the SA by passing bylaws and constitutional amendments. 

Wickerson, a Brown College junior, said they chose Cavallaro for the position based on his interest in reforming the SA bylaws and constitution.

“The main reason why he was selected was his experience with the constitution and bylaws, as he has read the whole document and knows really where he wants to improve things,” Wickerson said. “SA Senate efficacy and transparency is something our Executive Team really wants to work on this year we found that to be necessary.”

Cavallaro declined to comment regarding his appointment as SA parliamentarian.  

Nick Jerge, who served as SA parliamentarian the past year, said that the parliamentarian is nominated by the president and confirmed by the SA Senate. Wickerson said they nominated Cavallaro to the position after reviewing a pool of applicants who applied through the SA Common Application. 

“I think he’ll bring a critical lens to the SA as someone who’s never previously worked in the organization before and I’m excited to see what he brings to the role,” Wickerson said. 

The recently-passed constitutional amendment to allow any student to sponsor SA Senate legislation was originally proposed in Cavallaro’s presidential platform. 

“The constitution and bylaws give the [SA] Senate unreasonable amounts of control about what can be done, and who has the right to do it,” Cavallaro had said in his presidential platform. “I aim to divert as much power as possible from the Senate and give it back to the people.”

Graduation 2019: Rain distracts but fails to disrupt

Class of 2019 graduates came to Saturday morning’s commencement with their caps, gowns, stoles and umbrellas. Despite forecasted downpours and the proposed alternative venue of Tudor Fieldhouse, both Friday and Saturday ceremonies were held outside. Like their matriculation ceremony four years ago, the graduates saw rain fall as they were granted their degrees. 

Martel College senior Muna Uzodike to speak at graduation

“I truly believe we find our unique purpose in that space, because no one can be copied to the T,” Uzodike said. “We have a lot to bring to the table and I just want to remind people that no matter what space they find themselves in, they should never abandon the traits, gifts or skills that make them unique.”