Rice student voting guide

vote-changes

By Andrew Grottkau     11/5/18 4:09pm

With election day right around the corner, here’s everything you need to know as you prepare to head to the polls.

Where to go:

All Rice students who registered to vote using their campus address must vote at the Rice Memorial Center. Harris County does not participate in the Countywide Polling Place Program, meaning all voters must vote in the voting precinct assigned to them. Rice University’s campus is Precinct 361.

Voters who are registered to vote at their off-campus address should enter their information on this form to learn their precinct. Each precinct’s polling location is listed on this page.

When to vote:

The Rice Memorial Center polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

What to bring:

Voters are required to bring a form of approved photo identification. The approved forms of identification are as follows:

• Texas driver’s license issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety
  • Texas personal ID card
  • Texas election ID certificate
  • Texas handgun license
  • United States military ID with photo
  • U.S. citizenship certificate with photo
  • U.S. passport

Any voter who cannot provide approved identification and has a reasonable impediment to acquiring such a form of identification may sign a sworn statement and provide any of the following documents:

• Certified original birth certificate
  • Valid voter registration certificate
  • Current utility bill
  • Government check
  • Bank statement
  • Paycheck
  • Government document with name and address 

Voters who do not provide a valid form of identification and do not have a reasonable impediment may vote using a provisional ballot. If you vote with a provisional ballot, you must then visit a voter registrar’s office within six days of the election and provide one of the valid forms of photo ID. If at that time you still cannot provide the required documentation, you can submit a temporary affidavit in the presence of the registrar attesting that you cannot provide a valid form of ID.

To bike or not to bike? Beer Bike 2024 sees tents, possible wind

This year’s Beer Bike took place Saturday, April 6. After a seven-minute delay, the alumni races began, followed by the women’s and then the men’s. For the second year in a row, each of the races were divided into two heats. As usual, the times from both heats will be compared, along with calculated penalties, by the Rice Program Council to determine final results. Results are not available at time of publication, and the campus-wide Beer Bike coordinators did not provide a timeline for when they will be.