Monday, April 22, 2019 — Houston, TX 70°

Former Rice football player arrested in death of football player Blain Padgett

breaking-news

By Andrew Grottkau     10/5/18 12:53pm

Stuart Mouchantaf has been charged in the death of Blain Padgett, a Rice football player who passed away this past March, according to the Houston Police Department. 

Mouchantaf, who played on Rice’s football team from 2011 to 2015, is charged with delivery of a controlled substance causing death and is currently being held in Harris County jail, according to Harris County Sheriff’s Office jail records. His bond is set at $250,000 and his court date is set for Monday, according to the jail records.

Padgett was found unresponsive in his apartment on March 2. According to an autopsy, he died from ingesting carfentanil. Carfentanil is 10,000 times more powerful than morphine and was originally designed as an elephant tranquilizer, according to the Washington Post. 

Padgett’s death was reclassified as a homicide on Oct. 3, according to ABC 13. The arrest of Mouchantaf comes just two days after the Houston Police Department opened the investigation. 

Mouchantaf, like Padgett, was an Owls defensive lineman during his time with the team. Both Mouchantaf and Padgett played for Rice in 2015.

Rice University released a statement after the arrest thanking law enforcement. 

“We’re deeply saddened to hear about the latest developments in the investigation in the death of Blain Padgett, whose family continues to be foremost in our thoughts,” the statement read. “We want to thank the Houston Police Department investigators assigned to this case for their hard work in the wake of this tragedy. In light of the fact that charges have just been filed, any further comment would be inappropriate at this time.”

This story is developing.

Dean Whiting to leave school of architecture after nine years

The current dean of architecture, Sarah Whiting, will leave Rice this summer to become the first female dean of Harvard Graduate School of Design. Whiting has been dean since 2010 and oversaw many pivotal changes in the school of architecture, such as the implementation of the “Totalization” program, an immersive studio experience for sixth-year architecture students.

Millora-Brown to transfer; Kreider to leave for new job

Rice men’s basketball will experience a shakeup in both its player roster and staff next year. According to multiple anonymous sources, freshman center Quentin Millora-Brown has entered the NCAA transfer portal with intent to transfer and assistant coach Chris Kreider has left his position to join Georgia State University as an assistant coach.

‘Friends of Diversity’ Listserv closed

An email Listserv called “Friends of Diversity” was created by the Office of Diversity and Inclusion’s Multicultural Center Tuesday morning and was closed later that day. Primarily students of color across campus found themselves added to the Listserv without signing up beforehand.