The Threadsher Exclusive: Top 6 Manscaping Tips

threadsher-esther-tang-thresher
Illustration by Esther Tang

By Mai Ton and Vy Pham     9/25/18 11:15pm

It’s around the time when the excitement of starting a new school year has worn off, you’re sick and swamped with midterms and papers and your room is a pigsty of clothes, trash and unclean servery plates. Lastly and most unfortunately, you look like a goddamn mess. You haven’t shaved in a week and you’ve been wearing the same outfit, a Rice t-shirt and cargo shorts, to class every day. 

Stop! Don’t let this spiral any further out of control. No matter how packed your schedule gets, you should never let go of your basic grooming routine. Maintaining your image and ensuring that you continue to put forward the best version of yourself will only bring positive future outcomes. To ensure that you make the best impressions among your peers by unlocking your fullest potential, we went to the best groomed men at Rice to ask for their tips and have even added in some of our own:

SKIN CARE CAN’T BE STRESSED ENOUGH

You absolutely need to wash your face. EVERYDAY. And not with that Irish Spring bar soap that you keep on your bathroom shower floor. We mean actual face washing cleanser. You may not notice it, but your skin attracts grease and grime like Rice publics attract thirsty, overly ambitious freshmen. Once you’ve found a cleanser that works for you, you can begin experimenting with other skincare products such as moisturizer, BHA and AHA exfoliants to treat blackheads and whiteheads, facial scrubs to rid your face of dead skin and different types of face masks. However, seeing results in your skin takes time, often up to a month after starting a product. If you’re looking for a quick solution, we recommend using foundation. Find a foundation that matches your skin color and instantly vanquishes your acne, strengthens your masculinity and covers your hickeys. Make sure to blend in your foundation, or else you’ll start looking like Halloween came a month early. 

Brush and floss regularly

Your shiny teeth that twinkle? Just like the stars in space? Your shiny teeth that sparkle? Adding beauty to your face? Your shiny teeth and you! Become the next Chip Skylark at Rice by keeping up with a good oral health routine. “You have food particles stuck in your teeth, [and] it smells. Floss,” Baker College sophomore Eddie Jackson said. Make sure to brush twice a day and floss once a day at the bare minimum. If you’re feeling above average, use mouthwash and a tongue scraper for that extra crispy clean breath.

Groom your eyebrows

The most underrated part of your face is probably your eyebrows. Normally, you don’t notice them, but if you suddenly shaved them off, everyone would think you’ve been chosen as the next lead role in a low budget remake of “The Grudge.” Maintaining your eyebrows can make all the difference when it comes to expressing your thoughts and feeling good about yourself. This was an adventure that Lovett College sophomore Varun Kataria discovered. “Freshmen year, I would look at photos of myself and I’d be like, I don’t fuck with these eyebrows,” Kataria said. “I was struggling for hours trying to get like one hair. So I bought the eyebrow comb, eyebrow scissors, eyebrow brush and fancy tweezers. And now I can shape up the bottom underneath.” Although eyebrow maintenance requires regular upkeep and does not necessarily yield drastic results, Kataria doesn’t care. “I don’t think it’s that deep, but it makes me feel good about myself,” Kataria said.

Avoid 5-in-1

You ran out of all the soap in your dorm and you’re making a quick Target run. Out of the corner of your eye you spot it: a large bottle of 5-in-1 shampoo, conditioner, body wash, dish soap and detergent. Resist the temptation! The 5-in-1 combo is a recipe for drying out your hair, skin, hands, clothes and dishes. “[It] never works,” Jackson said. “[It] always damages and strips your hair.” Instead, Jackson uses Cream of Nature hair lotion, hairspray and deep conditioner to upkeep his luscious hair. Find the hair products that are right for you and keep up with scheduled haircuts to ensure your locks live their best life.

Chapstick is key

Before heading out to the local public to drink away your stress and sorrows, make sure to apply a layer of chapstick. You don’t want to miss out on a hookup because your lips were too crusty. You might even want to invest in a cherry-flavored chapstick. These will ensure that your next hookup will not only come to fruition but will also leave at least an 8.5 out of 10 rating on your LinkedIn.

Cut your nails 

Being so busy at Rice, it’s easy to forget to trim your fingernails and toenails for three months on end. Even worse, bacteria and dirt can get trapped under your nails if they are not taken care of. If you’re feeling extra, a manicure can go a long way – if not, filing your nails helps maintain their shape. Once you add these tips to your routine, you will have nailed your grooming basics. 

The Threadsher Exclusive is a fashion column written by Mai Ton and Vy Pham.