Monday, April 22, 2019 — Houston, TX 73°

Willy’s Pub closes for remainder of the semester

willys

By Drew Keller and Juan Saldaña     4/13/18 9:35pm

Graduating seniors may have enjoyed their last taste of cheap beer at Willy’s Pub at Pub Night yesterday, with Pub closing for public events for the semester beginning today.

General Manager Katie Mackall said the board of Valhalla and Willy’s Permits, Inc., a nonprofit holding corporation that oversees Pub, informed the management team this morning that the student-run business would have to close for the remainder of the semester. At this point, Mackall said management is not at liberty to disclose the reason for the closure.

Mackall said previously scheduled events and external sales can still take place; however, Pub cannot organize any new events or sales.

“The direction that we have received is that events that are not open to the general public and have already been organized can still happen,” Mackall, a McMurtry College junior, said. “Because no events have been run by the board so far, I cannot speak to specific events happening at this time or not.”

The V&W Board will meet Monday afternoon to discuss Pub’s status for the rest of the semester, according to B.J. Almond, Rice’s senior director of news and media relations .

“We will reveal what we can when we can if we can and are here for the students but again, currently cannot reveal much information,” Mackall said. “We are sorry for the effect on the student body and want to keep people in the loop but are not able to do so at this time.”

Article will be updated as the story develops. 

Dean Whiting to leave school of architecture after nine years

The current dean of architecture, Sarah Whiting, will leave Rice this summer to become the first female dean of Harvard Graduate School of Design. Whiting has been dean since 2010 and oversaw many pivotal changes in the school of architecture, such as the implementation of the “Totalization” program, an immersive studio experience for sixth-year architecture students.

‘Friends of Diversity’ Listserv closed

An email Listserv called “Friends of Diversity” was created by the Office of Diversity and Inclusion’s Multicultural Center Tuesday morning and was closed later that day. Primarily students of color across campus found themselves added to the Listserv without signing up beforehand.