Monday, April 22, 2019 — Houston, TX 70°

Cyclist killed in collision with truck near Rice University main entrance

By Andrew Grottkau and Emily Abdow     4/24/18 1:30pm

According to a text alert from Rice University, a bicyclist was killed in an accident with a truck near the intersection of Main Street and Sunset Boulevard this morning. According to Rice University, the victim was the spouse of a member of the Rice community. The Houston Police Department has shut down the intersection and the text alert states members of the Rice community should avoid the area.

The bicyclist was a woman and the accident occurred just before noon on Tuesday, according to KHOU 11 News Houston.

This story is developing. Check ricethresher.org for updates.

Last updated April 24, 2018 at 3:00 p.m.

Dean Whiting to leave school of architecture after nine years

The current dean of architecture, Sarah Whiting, will leave Rice this summer to become the first female dean of Harvard Graduate School of Design. Whiting has been dean since 2010 and oversaw many pivotal changes in the school of architecture, such as the implementation of the “Totalization” program, an immersive studio experience for sixth-year architecture students.

‘Friends of Diversity’ Listserv closed

An email Listserv called “Friends of Diversity” was created by the Office of Diversity and Inclusion’s Multicultural Center Tuesday morning and was closed later that day. Primarily students of color across campus found themselves added to the Listserv without signing up beforehand.

RPC releases revised Beer Bike results

Will Rice College won the men’s Beer Run while the Graduate Student Association claimed victory in the alumni and women’s bike races in Rice Program Council’s revised Beer Bike results released last week.