Thursday, April 25, 2019 — Houston, TX 81°

Editorial: Better financial aid vital to a diverse student body

By Thresher Editorial Board     3/28/18 12:35am

This year is no exception to the trend of Rice’s rising cost, with tuition rising 3.2 percent for the 2018-19 academic year. However, this year’s tuition increase comes with significantly more financial aid. The financial aid budget will increase by 10 percent, in accordance with Rice’s Vision for the Second Century’s goal of focusing on accessibility and affordability for low- and middle-income applicants.

Rice’s expanded financial aid budget is a welcome development given the Equality of Opportunity Project’s findings last year that top-tier American universities tend to be attended overwhelmingly by students in the top 20 percent. According to the report, 64 percent of Rice students come from the top 20 percent. Rice has consistently earmarked significant financial aid for students with low-income backgrounds, such as students who receive the Federal Pell Grant. At the same time, the school should address middle class students who do not qualify for as significant financial aid but also cannot afford to shell out $60,000 a year for four years. Perhaps with a heftier financial aid budget, Rice can narrow the economic disparity among its students and ensure that excellent applicants of all backgrounds are able to attend.

In addition, Rice currently does not conduct need-blind admission for international students, which sets it apart from other prestigious schools that lead in financial aid — and not in a good way. Diversifying the international student population is also a major goal of V2C2, and extending need-blind admission to international applicants would certainly broaden Rice’s international community.

No student is fond of the inevitable rise of tuition; but if it contributes to the availability of more financial aid and subsequently more accessibility to a wider population of students, then that is a sacrifice worth making. While this is a step in the right direction, it is one that should be expected from a school like Rice that has been a leader in financial aid. Rice must continue to make financial accessibility at large a top priority if it hopes to optimize the strength of its student population.

Ktru Outdoor Show delivers eight hours of sunny entertainment

On Saturday, the Central Quad came alive as a multitude of students and community members gathered on picnic blankets for the 28th annual ktru outdoor show. The show, lasting eight total hours, featured a diverse mix of acts from the quirky indie duo Coco & Clair Clair to the intimidating performance of Kilo Kish. 

Dean Whiting to leave school of architecture after nine years

The current dean of architecture, Sarah Whiting, will leave Rice this summer to become the first female dean of Harvard Graduate School of Design. Whiting has been dean since 2010 and oversaw many pivotal changes in the school of architecture, such as the implementation of the “Totalization” program, an immersive studio experience for sixth-year architecture students.

Millora-Brown to transfer; Kreider to leave for new job

Rice men’s basketball will experience a shakeup in both its player roster and staff next year. According to multiple anonymous sources, freshman center Quentin Millora-Brown has entered the NCAA transfer portal with intent to transfer and assistant coach Chris Kreider has left his position to join Georgia State University as an assistant coach.