Sunday, June 16, 2019 — Houston, TX 78°

LTTE: ​Op-ed regarding Turner’s political involvement misguided in its criticism

maurice

By Maurice Frediere     2/21/18 5:07pm

In an op-ed released yesterday evening, two students whom I have a lot of respect for and consider friends mentioned that I was stepping down as Rice University Young Democrats co-president at the end of my term due to my presumptive role as Student Association external vice president next year.

I think it’s important to correct the record on this matter. I had decided at the end of last year to step down as Rice University Young Democrats president in March because I believed two years as vice president and president meant it was time for a new leadership team. The decision had nothing to do with my plan to run for EVP. To be unambiguous, as someone who has served on the SA’s executive team and been heavily involved since my freshman year while maintaining leadership positions in the Rice Democrats and various political campaigns, I can confidently say that Juliette Turner’s political involvement would not conflict with her responsibilities as IVP. I’d contend any assertion to the contrary demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the role and the work the SA does.

Maurice Frediere

Duncan College junior

Companies need to remember the inclusion part of diversity and inclusion

Companies should strive to go beyond “quotas” for underrepresented groups as their measure of diversity and inclusion. Diversity and inclusion are reflected in how marginalized groups are treated by others, the opportunities available to these groups and the amount of respect given to a person’s voice. Even if a company has an equal demographic split, can they really say they are diverse or inclusive if select people experience bias or lack opportunities for success?